New member and questions

Hello all, new to the board. Been reading through the post during my free time to pick up some tips. I must say, this board is awesome....the amounts of info shared here is amazing.

My fishing buddy and I just started to put together a boat for downrigging. Money is real tight so starting small. We only got a small boat, a 16ft....we know we got to watch the weather and be smart about things in such a small boat.

Got a kicker motor, downriggers, rigger and dipsy rods, now looking into getting a fishfinder/GPS. What sort of things should I be looking for in a fishfinder? How much power do I need to be able to see the cannon balls and mark baitfish and salmon? Our budget is about $600. Looking through the catalogs, the Hummingbird 597 and Lowrance Elite5 seem to be in the price range. Are these units good enough? Thanks

Take a look at the hds-5. Also, remember that a speed/temp probe is your most valuable piece of equipment other than rods. When you buy reels, buy good ones the first time or you'll just end up buying them later.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

yep I say even possibly skip the gps/ fish finder and get the speed and temp..... you can cheat off other boats how many feet of water to fish by following the pack but knowing how deep to fish once there is really important

even if you only get a fish hawk td thats a start... in my opnion all a fish finder is good for is knowing how deep the bottom is

Stick with a nice affordable unit, a Humminbird piranah Max will do fine, and spend that extra dough on fish hawk or even a subtroll... The hawk is what I hear is the enxt best thing.. I currently run a Subtroll900.. Only complaint is the coated cable, but it makes a difference! Fish those temperatures!!

You definetly want to get your fish finder first before the temp. probe even as valuable a tool that the probe is you do not want to be dropping it down without knowing what depth you are in and risk loosing a couple hundred dollar unit. This time of year in order to find the right temp you may have to drop down to over a hundred feet to find it if your in 90 fow you wont find that right temp you will most certainly find the bottom though looking for a good temp and possibly loose your temp. probe.