Lake o boat

crw4374

I take my 19' Tracker out quite a bit. There are plenty of downsides to a smaller boat though. There were only two days I got out this week due to wind and waves. The weatherman was especially bad this week.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The ones that kill me are when every weather report and forecast says 5 - 8mph wind, waves 1-2 feet and when you get there, you're looking at whitecaps on 3-5 footers.

Like stated above, you should be fine. I fish out of a 19' Smokercraft. The bow is not ment for big waves so I know if it gets to three footers I have to call it a day. I love the boat and will not sell it. Just picked up a 24 Thompson for the big lake for more comfort and the ability to bring more friends out on the lake, but again informed the wife I will not sell my the Smokercraft.

CRW, My first Lake O boat was a 19 foot Islander and it handled the Lake Great... Even in 4 to 6 footers the boat handled the Conditions with no Issues.. The issues were people losing there lunch out in those waves.... I wish I never Sold that boat, by far my favorite boat and a fish catching machine if you set it up right.... Woody

I used a 18' Crestliner ( with windshield) with a 90 yam and 15yam kicker on Erie and Ontario and boated many fish. As everyone states , you just have to plan a head and no your limits.

We have also found that you can stay in less than 200 ft of water during July/Aug /Sept and still catch may fish.

Easy to escape the weather and you will also save on gas.

You should be good! Just pick your days and keep an eye on the sky. I'm fishing a 17 ft open bow.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I agree.

I've had my 17' Tracker in over 140 fow out of the Big Salmon, BUT you need to pick/choose/watch/listen to the NOAA station prior.

Took waves over the bow before, and don't care for that.

I would 'druther fish from my 22 ft. Islander, though.

Your 19" Islander is a great boat, and will handle probably more rough water, than your willing to fish in.

• 4 weeks later...

people are very paranoid it seems. ive taken my 16' trilhull bowrider out dozens of times on lake ontario and huron whether it be glass or 5 foot white caps. never had a problem. sure sometime the waves would bounce us around and the odd wave comes right in the boat but just know how to do it and your fine :)

taken it out to 270 FOW pretty much to the point you cant see land day and night :)

smaller boats get bounced around a bit more but nothing to be scared about

*edit* srry to bring this post back up lol forgot to look at the date posted

Theres no fish in that lake worth risking your life or the lives of your passengers for.

Use your head and play it safe.

Respect the Lake.

Theres always tomorrow if you do.

Watch out for overloading the boat and weight distribution.

Have fun, catch some fish and be safe.

Your 19 footer will work just fine.

Glen

crw4374, I own a 19.5' starcraft islander i/o. You will have no problem, just use common sense. The islander series has a very deep hull. Deeper than some of the 24' s out there. It was made with the great lakes in mind. as far as rough water, if waves get over 3' we head in. I have gotten caught a couple time in bad weather that came up fast and threw some bigger waves at us and we took our time and made out fine.

What year is it??

IMG_0162.jpg