Long line tangles, what am I doing wrong?

I've had the worst luck with copper. My first 300 turned into 175 after two tangles but I recently got a new spool of 300. I refuse to go any longer than that even if it works! I learned with the first spool not to run copper over Dipsies. At least that is where I've had problems. I got two tangles today and here was my setup...spoon rigger out first down 125, then 300 copper on board then mag dipsey on 2 out 240. had a king manage to tangle into the copper and even cross over the dipsey once. Could just be bad luck but I'm wondering if my setup was too tight. Also had tangle on 10 color core which I've never had problem with.... Ff rigger down 115, stand dipsey on 2 out 300, 10 color core. Tangled with dipsey. No fish on this side. Am I doing something wrong here. Never had tangles like this. Thanks, mark

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

"Am I doing something wrong here."

Yup runnin copper

Been some interesting currents latly toss in a little wind on a turn and BINGO ya got a triple :lol:

I only run 3 riggers and 2 dypsys ,could I run copper and lead too?? yup but to me their comes a point where its more work than worth...the bite is so good now keep it simple and enjoy....(were ya smiling as you untangled the mess)...derby fishing with a full crew to yank,pop,retrive,and clear rods then reset them all is dooable..

Remeber being on the lake enjoying the day is great catchin a fish is the bonus.. (some days)

Helps to have enough deck hands to deal with crazy kings, but your set up sounds good. I would keep the ring off the mag dipsy and put it on a .5 or 1 setting and send your copper FAAAARRRR out to the side. Big fish on, I pull the wire dipsys (8' transom) and get them out of the way. Make sure after you deploy copper over wire, run a bunch more backing out and then let it settle (rise) before sending it out over your dipsy. Helps to figure out which direction the down current is going also. Try to head into the current.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

copper horror.... never deploy on a turn!! never retrieve on a turn.... never ever release a diver on the outside on a turn with copper off the boards.... never release a rigger that is stretched more than 50' on a turn... u will own the diver and maybe the copper as well.

never deploy 2 coppers at a time on a turn or in bad currents (last weekend back east....) human error will lose more copper n wire that a crazy king will IMO.... so think and rethink before you start friggin riggin.... BTW I LOVE copper and will always will... ><<<<'>

I run two dipseys per side, 1.5 and 3 setting at least 75 feet between the two longer on the outside, four riggers and a copper out atleast 300 down the chute. In my opinion running copper out the sides is asking for trouble. Never set copper out fast, thumb it till you can engage the drag on a low setting and then let it go out a few clicks at a time. Never have a problem hanging the copper even on sharp turns.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The temp has been deep of late, making for difficult multiple deep riggers,divers & junk lines. Don't crowd too many lines into the same zone, long deep diver presentations are gonna conflict w/ deep coppers even if they are off the boards, especially w/ current & turns. -Andy

Your problem is you're running it down the middle. Most of us bring the fish up the middle. Get an otter boat, put it out 30-50ft. Let your copper out down the middle SLOWLY. Pass it over your riggers and dipseys, clip onto the planer line and slide it as far away from the boat as you can. NEVER NEVER turn until the copper has been deployed for at least a few mins.

That way when a fish bites another line the copper is way out of the way. The currents have been terrible the last few days.we've been out which makes it very tough.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png