Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed: 2.8-3.2 sog

Down Speed: 2.5 Subtroll

Boat Depth: 200+

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Finally we put an LOC fish on the board today - currently 8th place salmon division. Fished with my brother Kevin and our buddy Matt who was visiting from out of town and who never had a taste of good ol' Lake Ontario until today. He picked a great day to say the least. We started in 150' and headed north looking for some more stable water with the NE wind today. We started marking a few fish in 200' and we saw one boat out there circling so we thought that he was onto something.

We hit a smaller salmon as soon as we hit 200' on the 115' rigger pulling an NK 42 second spoon. After that fish was landed and we reset, about 15 minutes later we had four hits all within 5 minutes - both riggers, the 400' copper and the 600' copper. The 600' cooper got crushed and the fish probably ran out 300' before shaking. Honestly it was the hardest I've ever seen a copper rod get hammered. The 400' got crushed a minute later (we thought maybe it was a tangle) and we almost got spooled, but it also shook. It was not a tangle at all, but another very decent fish. We still hadn't brought in both coppers yet and then the two riggers hit simultaneously - the 85' pulling a white/green dot SD with an ATomMik Hammer fly and the 115' rigger with the same 42 sec NK spoon.

We managed to clear the chute as fast as humanly possible of the two coppers (neither tangled) and we landed the 85' rigger fish - nice ten pound salmon. Then we were able to enjoy my brother fight the fish of his life - a beautiful 31# 3ounce salmon. The fish burned out to 550' on the counter, I throttled down as slow I could go and he fought it for 20 minutes. It swam to the boat, under the side, nosed my torpedo weight, jumped out at 450' of line out, and he had tons of life when we netted it. When finally in the boat the brand new treble hook I changed yesterday actually broke off in his jaw!!

We have video of this battle - hopefully I can download it at some point, but here's a few pics to enjoy. It is the biggest fish to date I have landed on my boat. It is a memory I will cherish forever!!

I would also like to shout out a VERY SPECIAL thanks to the owner of Mitchell's Bait and Tackle on Lake Ave. who actually opened up his shop for us after he had closed for the day just to weigh our fish and another fish from another angler. He was delivering bait to Spencerport, yet he still made time to open for us and get our fish weighed before the 8 PM deadline. It is businesses like this that need to be recognized. What a guy!!!

This lake is amazing folks - good luck to all,

- Chris

003.jpg

010.jpg

001.jpg

Great job landing a nice king!...a hook breaking in the boat is a testament to the calamity of luck and skill involved with a landing a truly large salmon. Seems most get that "break" in the water and swim away!...excellently done men!

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thanks again gentlemen for all your kind words - the fish is at the taxidermist as we speak.

My boat is a 22' yellow Trophy hardtop (there's actually 2 or 3 that fish out of I-Bay) and we usually fish every weekend from May til Sept.

Good to all on the water - be safe out there,

- Chris

P.S. - I'd try and post some of the video we took but there's way too many four letter words in there and during the "good part" when we bring it on board, my buddy's phone was in his pocket and we were only capturing audio....

I cant believe the kype on that fish allready, it is only july right? I have seen a few showing signs of spawn but not like the jaws on that guy.

Congrats on the derby fish guys! :yes::yes:

Kudos to Mitchell's Bait in Tackle :yes: - I have heard of them coming to the rescue of many PM derby fisherman