Want to buy an entry-level downrigger - need recommendations

Amazon is currently running a 20% off all Sports & Outdoors items if you have an Amazon Rewards card, and I want to splurge on a downrigger. I have a small 16' shallow V boat, so I can't have something massive. I am also looking to spend no more than $130-$150 with tax. Here are some options below.

What else would I need besides one of these? I think they all come with 100'-150' of steel cable, plus releases. I assume I'd need some balls? :o Anything else?

Thanks!

Cannon Lake Troll $130

Cannon Easi-Troll HS $174

Scotty Depthmaster Display $157

Scotty Laketroller Display $83

Depending on where you are going to fish I would go with 10lb balls at least... the releases that come with the cannons suck...imo I would go with the blacks or spend a little more and get the chamberlains 100 ft of wire will only get you 90 to 95 ft of depth unless you are going to run it down to the bare spool so if you are going to fish deeper than that get 150 ft of rigger wire or more. I have the cannon lake trolls and don't have one complaint with them. They have worked great. Get a couple of these you won't be disappointed. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28876

Tom

Go with something that can handle 15 lb weights at least. I would get shark weights if I was you. My 12lb sharks have alot less blowback then 15lb torpedos. My first yr running sharks but my Riggers have kept up with the divers and copper this yr. Usually my divers out fish my Riggers 5 to 1. But this has been a awesome season so maybe that has something to do with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

genEus - all you need is balls. The rest will work itself out :rofl:

Ain't that the universal truth! :rofl:

So, I got one vote for each of the Cannons so far and one recommendation to get something that can handle 15lb weights (which doesn't fit any of the choices above). Mkaay...

Are you trolling Lake O or the fingerlakes?

Haven't had the... proverbial... to get out on Lake O (yet) but have braved Keuka and Canandaigua with great success. So, I'd say mostly the Finger Lakes... Currently I have a 4-dipsy setup going, the outside two on 3 setting and the inside two on 0. If the water cooperates and I don't make any sharp turns I do all right not getting them all tangled, but I can't help but want to be like "the big boys" and get myself a rigger.

I have 8lb shark weights and can troll up to about 2.5 and still mark the balls down to about 70ft. personally I think 10lb balls trolling at fingerlakes speeds where there isn't the crazy currents that you get into on lake ontario are more than enough I don't know if I would put much more than a 12lb ball on a lake troll or Easi troll.

Tom

Stop by some of your Marinas and look for used electrics. You'd be surprised at what deals you can get. I had hand cranks for years. They are a real P I A ! I was able to buy 2 used cannon mag 10s for less than it would to but new hand cranks. Check them out, Some people buy somebody else's boat and want to put their own on and they get stuck with them. I would look at that Option first. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Check the classifieds below for used as well.

If going with the manuals you want the maximum feet retreived per turn, so research that.

I don't know how much I would like the horizontal crank of the scotty so this may be the only case where I would go with cannon. Oh, you also want clutch down and crank up, not crank up and down!!