flashers what do they mimic

had some guys from virginia on boat and they asked what the flasher was suppose to mimic, i told them what i always thought it was ,' a fish attacking' and the fly was its missed oppertunity, i never questioned that answer before cause that is what i always thought it was until they, which troll the ocean for its bountiful fish on a near daily occasion said to me that the way that flasher may be concieved by a fish, is a small school of bait fish and the fly is the one lagging behind, i dont know now, the way it spins could look like a ball of bait fish to a salmon and some do hit the flasher on occasion, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ? i do know one thing it catches fish so i guess it really dont matter, but its a good debate

I've heard both. Also heard that the reason for running shorter leaders for staging salmon was because it makes the bigger fish kip at the fly likes its kipping at the tail of a smaller fish telling him back of the line

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I was told that since the fish tend to hang out together it looks like another salmon/trout getting excited such as it would if bait was nearby. So when the other fish come to investigate it gets disctracted by the fly and crushes it.

I was told the that when it rotates it sort of thumps in the water which mimics the sound/vibration of a tail kick of a feeding salmon coupled with the flash this is what draws them in, them being curious eating machines they hit the presented bait. who knows..they work awesome though.

EDIT..maybe I wasn't told but I read it...http://www.protroll.com/books/?id=1&p_id=5

Remember if you read it on the internet it must be true! :rofl:

I believe it represents either a small salmon attacking a school of bait OR bait that has been injured and is spiraling out of control. Lots of thump and flash to attract. The picture I have in my head of what is going on down there is based on what I see on the graph and what I catch at depth. Small Kings are voracious. To get to 30 lbs in four years you have to swim and eat. I usually catch small kings around bait at the thermocline. Those small kings are in the schools slashing and attacking. Some of the Alewives are 8-10"......the same size as a flasher. Most of the hits on those big Alewives are going to result in a injured fish that will spiral down twitching to the big kings waiting below. In the end....who cares flashers catch fish!!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

I don't think it is much of a mystery. It is widely accepted that the flasher puts out a large amount of flash representing a small school of bait and the fly is simply an outlier bait fish.

This is consistent with the environmental physiology of all predatory fish and how they work a school of bait, targeting the odd fish out. It is also why you will get fish to hit the flasher as it is also part of their feeding behavior to slam into a school of bait for the purpose of breaking it up then make a quick turn to try and catch any stunned or confused bait that are slow to rejoin the school. This is also why you will occasionaly snag a king between the dorsal and adipose fin with your fly, pull the flasher to the mouth of the fish and you will see that it is obvious that he took a swipe at the flasher.

The reason a spin dr looks like a fish is to simply catch fishermen.

This does not mean that a fish wouldn't hit the fly out of a competitive instinct as well as stated in the original post.

There is no doubt that the impulse the flasher puts into the water can attract fish as well as the lateral line is very sensitive to location of items in the water.

Good fishing is when you piss off the fish and they bite.

Great fishing is when the fish are hungry and bite!!!

I don't think it is much of a mystery. It is widely accepted that the flasher puts out a large amount of flash representing a small school of bait and the fly is simply an outlier bait fish.

This is consistent with the environmental physiology of all predatory fish and how they work a school of bait, targeting the odd fish out. It is also why you will get fish to hit the flasher as it is also part of their feeding behavior to slam into a school of bait for the purpose of breaking it up then make a quick turn to try and catch any stunned or confused bait that are slow to rejoin the school. This is also why you will occasionaly snag a king between the dorsal and adipose fin with your fly, pull the flasher to the mouth of the fish and you will see that it is obvious that he took a swipe at the flasher.

The reason a spin dr looks like a fish is to simply catch fishermen.

This does not mean that a fish wouldn't hit the fly out of a competitive instinct as well as stated in the original post.

There is no doubt that the impulse the flasher puts into the water can attract fish as well as the lateral line is very sensitive to location of items in the water.

Good fishing is when you piss off the fish and they bite.

Great fishing is when the fish are hungry and bite!!!

Very well put Carl. Great read.

Maybe Mr. Salmon thinks it's a hot piece of ass? Till he starts singing on the wall, everything else is speculative.

Or in the case of my recent video segment a rotten piece .... :lol::lol::lol: you watched it Scott