Trophy St Lawrence walleye and photo

Kevin J Legg

I fished the River solo this morning and although I only caught two fish they were beauties. 29" walleye and 18" smallmouth both hit trolled crankbaits. Had two others on that came unbuttoned. Unfortunately the walleye was bleeding and caught in deep water and I could not release her. Even tried running my aerator in the live well for an extended time but she remained belly up and could not be revived.

sr_004.jpg

Nice walleye!! :yes:

My son and I trailered up there last June, stayed in Alex bay. We tried casting, drifting all kinds, tossin junk all depths..the only thing that worked for us was trolling cranks!!! great area down under the rt.81 bridge and towards Clayton to do that. We caught 4 or 5 smallies one morning all 3-5lbs range. Natural colored deep divers were best

I will be going back to figure out the eyes!!

Nice fish Kevin! We were up this past weekend fishing just below the mouth out of Mud Bay. Picked up two nice eyes then ran to deep water and got into the browns. Great fishery up there. We'll be back there soon! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Nice fish Kevin! We were up this past weekend fishing just below the mouth out of Mud Bay. Picked up two nice eyes then ran to deep water and got into the browns. Great fishery up there. We'll be back there soon! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

How were the fleas over by the mouth of the river?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

How were the fleas over by the mouth of the river?

The fleas were terrible! We had a couple outfits rigged with 30# mono just in case, but that didn't work very well. put some 20# Fleaflicker on and that worked much better. They sure love the 30# PowerPro! I was told that you can run 50# braid, but haven't tried it.. anyone know? I do know it's a pain to run dipsies on mono.. it's like the snubber's in front instead of behind it! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

U sure that is not a giant, world record, crazily pollution affected, digitally faked, yellow perch? :D I mean, with the vertical bars and all it looks more like a perch than an 'eye! Are they all patterned like that in that region? I've fished the Islands many times but never caught a walleye (or a musky) there. Great fish....Niiiicee!! :yes:

Panfisher,

I checked the vomerine teeth, the number of spines on the dorsal fin and did DNA analysis and I'm fairly certain it was a walleye, although you never know for certain with the possibility of hybridization.

There are a bunch of fleas in the river also.

Sluggo,

I was told by a tackle shop owner that Cortland is no longer selling the Flea Flicker line. Im not sure if that is true but it does work perfectly (20 lb.) for me out in Lake O but not sure what I'll do to buy more since I need more. The 30 lb seems too heavy anyways to get any hits doesnt it?

Nice eye and thanks for trying to release it Kevin. BP