Striper in Lake O

Now don't laugh or get angry, I just wanted to kick this idea out there and see what you guys thought of this. What if the DEC released some striped bass into Lake Ontario? Now I would imagine the bass would out compete the salmoniods and the baitfish population might crash, but in Raystown Lake, PA the two coexsist quite well. Could you imagine? Surf casting for breaking striper off the piers, pinning for steelhead and the stripers, and last but not least trolling up 40lb Kings in the morning and 50lb Bucketmouths in the evening. Spring and fall runs of huge trout, salmon and striper. Think of the fly fishing and spinning opportunities that could happen!

Ha now back to reality, this all comes from annual pilgrimages to the Cape where I would stand waist deep in the surf hauling in bluefish after bluefish and then have my plug get crushed by a cow striper, or drifting 4 oz bucktails in the Ditch tentatively awaiting the thump of a 20 lber to make my day. The salt is in my blood, and I just wish we could bring it a little closer

What would you guys think of stripers in Lake O?

In my opinion we have the best Salmon and Trout fishing of all the Great Lakes. Although we pound on our DEC every year at the state of the lake, they are doing a good job. No need to add a variable into the equation and possibly ruin the great resource we have!

I wouldn't mess with a good thing.

My father-in-law lives in Cape Cod and I still haven't tried fishing for them yet, although I was able to send Deaf Fisherman after them last year. He caught some nice ones out of his kayak at the spot I sent him to.

I recently asked DEC about the hybrid program. I thought this would be a great way to supplement the fishing experience without long term effects. Hybrids do not reproduce, so if the forage base can not support, you just stop stocking. Kinda the same idea with Tigers. I thought a great pilot area would be Conesus Lake.

Here is the DEC response...

The stocking of Hybrid stripers was before I began working with the department, but I believe the reason they are not stocked any more is because:

1-we didn't get a good return to the angler, by that I mean the numbers anglers caught for the numbers stocked was low.

2-They are tremendous wanderers, case in point where your catching them in the Tioga and Chemung,and where their stocked in PA. Fish would be stocked one place and end up all over the place. Often times in areas that they weren't wanted. Because of this wandering they didn't reduce the forage in the places they were stocked, as you mention below that was one of the reasons for stocking them.

3-I think the cost of raising them was also expensive.

Hope this helps and good luck fishing.

Region 7 Fisheries Office

NYSDEC

1285 Fisher Avenue

Cortland NY, 13045

(607) 753-3095 xt. 213

I fish for stripers spring and fall in the Chesapeake. Will be bringing the green Sportcraft to the Oak next Thursday where she stay for the next month to experience this great fishery. I really prefer it that way - don't "fix" something that isn't broken.

Ahh comon guys, use your imaginations. I am not "fixing" anything, just wistfully thinking of what could be. But just remeber that the salmoniods we love to catch are just at foreign as gobies. It's all a cash deal. Salmon are cheap to raise and easy to pattern, thus a $ return to the captains, the tourists and state. And soon with all the stocking this fishery could collapse just as bad as Michigans. The only natives are lakers and Atlantic's, everything else is just a man created Goldfish bowl. And if you can control kings, you ought to be able to control stripers.

Not that I can complain about having some of the best fishing for trout and salmon in the world 15 min from me ;p.

Just saying its fun to imagine what could be if money making wasn't the central point.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Then I want red snapper, grouper and scallops! That's what I try to live on in Panama City Beach.

ya grouper and scallops yum yum ! wait do i have too scuba dive for scallops or can i just run a pro troll with a fly and get em like i do with all the other shell fish that are always stuck on my hooks :lol:

Then I want red snapper, grouper and scallops! That's what I try to live on in Panama City Beach.

ya grouper and scallops yum yum ! wait do i have too scuba dive for scallops or can i just run a pro troll with a fly and get em like i do with all the other shell fish that are always stuck on my hooks :lol:

Just a mask and snorkel, free for the taking in shallow water - unlike our nasty, bottom-hugging zebras. :yes: I see you often at Sandy, headed out as we're launching the boat. I'll give you a yell next time.

When I worked for DEC I seem to recall about 15 yrs or so ago Canada and the US states decided not to stock any new non native species in the Great Lakes drainage. It was about the same time that the west coast salmonids got a disease not prsent in the east. Thats why we no longer get eggs from the west coast. Whether that was the reason for not stocking stripers i can't remember. It may be also they do not want to put any more strain on the forage base

Why mess with a great thing? Yes no doubt it would be cool but look what you already have. Probably the best Salmon/trout lakes in the country. Take a 3 hour drive to Albany or Newburgh area in May/June and you can slam the stripers on nice calm waters. Well worth the drive if you really want to catch Stripers. And these arent Hybreds these are Ocean Run migrating Stripers that can hit 50 pounds plus! If you like them then its well worth the ride :yes: