Dave Mull @ GLA's blog post about his incident last week.

Definitely a good read. I know I have become complacent recently. Hopefully it will help us all evaluate our rigs again. I know I am.

I like how he outlines all of these little things as inconsequential yet when all put together at the same time become a master of disaster. I am glad they are alive to talk about it. "Too bad they lost those fish"

Wow!

I just had Dave, Matt, and Al out on the Waterwolf last fall fishing for musky in Clayton. :whew: Sure glad it worked out for them. Going to have to give them a call.

What an experience I hope the rest of us never have to go through.

I think there are two very important things to learn from this story that weren't said... #1 always have enough life jackets "on deck" for everyone. That way even if the boat sinks, there should be life jackets floating in the water. #2 and 18ft boat with four people in 3ft waves is dangerous. We used to fish out of a 19ft trophy, which has much higher walls, and 3ft waves were a lot for that boat. I know there are a lot of people on this board that fish in small boats and are out there in waves that make us come in with our 24ft boat... please be careful out there... the salmon will always bite tomorrow, you just need to be alive to catch them!

Nick

now im grabbing 2 auto inflate vests for us before we go out on monday for sure. Having a brand new 18 foot center console made this story hit home but I wont even allow 2 people all the way on the back when im on oneida let alone onatrio. Ive also never had a ditch bag so I guess thats something else Ill have to look into, I just use the waterproof containers but theres no way id have it out in time if the boat sank like this. Probably a small flare gun in one would be best right?

Man ...what a story...a real wake up call for me. Life jackets, cushions ,radio, phone, flares are gonna be ready for quick use. Boston Whalers don't seem so expensive after reading how quick that boat swamped and went under. I will keep a more watchful eye for fellow fisherman who might be in trouble too.

WoW! A very lucky group. My PFD's will be a lot more visible from now on. One question. I'm not sure I understand how a drift bag tied off the bow will keep the bow into the waves. That's assuming the bag stays under the boat. Wouldn't you deploy it off the stern?

Unreel,

The drift bag opens in the opposite direction of the wind. When you have out a trolling bag it opens (large end) in the direction your going. So if your drifting and being pushed backwards by the wind and waves if you deploy the bag off the bow of the boat it should keep your bow into the wind.

John

This story woke my newbie butt up too.. Now I will always make sure my PFDs are on the deck. not down in the cuddy. I ordered a new water proof handheld VHF. And I also ordered a waterproof floating PLB.. I prefer not to be in the water any longer than needed.I plan on picking up waterproof whistles and attach one to each PFD. Floating ditch bag will be located always on the topside of the boat.