Advice for Olcott/Wilson

Planning on visiting family this weekend in Newfane and going to bring boat along this time. :) Not fishing any derbies but would like to take wife and kids out and show them a great time fishing. They are use to fingerlake fishing and have never experienced Lake O fishing. Hoping to get into a few kings and steelies. :clap: Wondering if anyone will be kind enough to share any tips as to direction out of port (either Olcott or Wilson), good depth range and lures. Thinking maybe starting around 150 depth of water and trolling out deeper until I locate some hooks? Probably run spoons and flasher/flies off riggers and wire dipsys targeting 60 to 120 feet down over 150 to 350 depth. Have mostly NK 28 spoons and few NK mag spoons. Also have many Michigan Stinger spoons in stinger size and few in stingray size. Thinking the NK 28s and stinger size spoons may be too small and should run NK mags and Stingray spoons? Am I on the right track? I know the derby is on, so many will be reluctant to help a fellow fisherman and family out, but I greatly appreciate any advice (by thread reply or PMs) that I may receive! Thanks!

According to the marine forecasts, there's been several days of a light east wind, so that may have brought temps up a little, so you may want to stop short of 150. I'll be out of Olcott in the morning and I plan on stopping in 60 fow and taking a look there first. If I see any kind of picture at all I'll set lines and troll out from there. Last thing you want to do is run out over the fish and it really doesn't take long to troll out to 150 from 60 fow.

Your 28 and stinger size spoons will work fine, though I've had better luck with the stingray size than the standard stingers last couple seasons. From what I've been hearing the king bite has been mostly flasher/flies, not so much a spoon bite, but the steelies will still hammer the spoons.

Good luck out there.

Tim

Thanks for the advice Tim. You bring up a good point about setting up shallower and slowly working way out deeper. Anyone have any advice as to which direction to head out of Olcott harbor; NW, N or NE? Thanks in advance.

I'd go NW from Ollcott. The bite was good on Wed. in that area. 1/2 way to Wilson (.45 on W line) in 220-240 FOW. SS spoons and F/F rigs worked for me there 40-60 feet down. Kings, Cohos, and Browns. I'm returning there today as my starting point.

Forget my last post recommendations. Did what I said and wasted a whole morning in that area, experiencing only 2 knock-offs and nothing to show for the time. The bait was gone and so were most of the arches. A buddy ran out deep and did nothing much out there also. You'll have to find them for yourself this weekend.

Thanks for the replies. Fished 5 hrs Saturday straight out from port and little both east and west staying mainly in 160 to 250 FOW. Ended up landing 4 kings and 1 brown; lost decent king due to snap failure. :@ Larger kings were 20 lb. 4 oz. and 19 lb. 10 oz. :clap: Great time overall. Wife got to battle her first king and can't wait to go back out. Mostly f/f bite with 2 off spoons.