Snubber Question...

Boy, with all this warm weather and rain it has made me feel llike bullhead fishin'!! :P

Quick question regarding wire dispy snubbers: Do you prefer 8" or 12" snubbers and why? I picked up a set of 8" snubbers and then saw 12" ones at Bass Pro. Which is better to have on when that 40+ lb'er grabs my silver prism dodger/hammer fly combo this coming summer in late august? 8)

Only a few more months to go!

Years back I ran snubbers, but I have found they are not necessary at all. #1 More terminal tackle to beak ( snaps etc. as well as the extra drag at the dipsy) #2 They impair the action of the lure your using. If you run a good grade 40 or 50lb leader off the dipsy clean and pay attention to your drag setting ( loose enough so you can here it clicking out every now and then ) you will have no problems. I can't remember the last time we have lost a fish on the wire due to breakage unless we were hung on bottom :lol:

I wouldn't run wire or braid without a snubber. These big kings here on Lake Ontario have VERY violent strikes at times. A good quality reel with a premiem drag system is important as well . I use the Daiwa sealine 47 LCA.The quality of the opti/snubbers is very good as are the terminations..just my 2cents...captd

Hank, I'm with you. Used them until several years back. I pretty much go with the 40 mono, and eliminated the snubber. I've since used them with backing off the drags (Tekotas) and either using rubber bands or an Offshore release off the rod eyelet as described by Tim Bromund to eliminate line creepage.

Hank,

Do you run a mono leader or fluorocarbon? We run snubbers but only becasue it's what we've always done. I like your point about minimizing drag and having less stuff to break. If I can get away with no snubber on Fluorocarbon I might give it a try.

Thanks!

Alright, well that presents a new scenario into the equation. :? Well, I guess I will have to see what works best. I am a fan of running 50lb fluoro leaders with dodger/fly combos, so coupling it with the dipsies is a viable option! I also agree with the idea that "less gear = less breakage". I think I will end up trying one of each and see which performs better/feels better.

-> Good experiment for this summer!!

Thank you for the great input on the topic! It is great to get different tactics to try!

Bill I use to run 50# Stren. Now I am using 40# fluoro no problems at all. We all use 47's. Just watch your drag settings.

Chinook: I don't run the bands or the clips just straight off the reel. If i can hear it clicking out every now and then i kn it's right.

Keepers: Small boat is still in the water. LOL If ya want to use it it's here, doesn't look like a lot of ice in the near future.

Hank, the reason I use the bands or release is mainly once a desired length is established, these will keep line creepage to a minimum especially on those days that are rather rough. I also back my drags off to the point that eventually the band either breaks or the release lets go. Also, I have a couple of the first Takotas' that were known to allow for line creepage. As far as using either mono for flouro, I think that is really a wash. My preferance is mono, but flouro would work as well if one steers clear of Vanish. A premium line such as Seaquar, is what I mainly use for my sliders, whether it be fixed or free. Again, I agree. To those who feel snubbers are necessary. Go for it. I can only say that having used them for many years, I have found them to be really not needed.

Just about every time my brother and I get together we have the snubber v. no snubber debate and we've put it to the test I don't know how many times. I think it's a matter of preference, we've caught fish on both and I'd say the number of lost fish is a wash, who knows if the dropped fish has anything to do with the snubber anyways.

His boat we don't run snubbers, my boat we do. Just like with everything else - if it works for you stick with it.

DAN

Thanks for letting me back on guys, Sorry about the overgrown photo. I used photo bucket and couldn't figure out how to reduce it. I'll just keep it off.

L/M 'S set up is what most of the Charter fleet over our neck of the woods ,eastern Lake O, use . No snubbers, and drags set just tite enough so they bleed every now and then. 40lb leader from the dipsey to the attractors, 20lb test for spoons. Loose drags can always be tightened, tite drags to start, well that's another story.

Capt. Ace

Hank,

I may take you up on the small boat this Saturday AM, do you have any interest in going? My friend went out in Sodus on Sunday and knabbed around (30) 1 lb+ perch in between the islands - 20 ft depths were the ticket. I am thinking just off the points in Port Bay should produce quite well or just off the mouth on the drop-off. Let me know if you would like to go! we'll have to see what the weather does...

Tim Let me know. Sat. I have to be at Savannah Dhu (Conegell's ) in the A.M. with the boy for a meeting for the youth hunt program they have. But the boat is hear and you're good ta go. I'll be back mid afternoon. If you want to get together Sunday I'm free all day.