spinny fleas

I see many people are having problems with the fleas and loosing fish

a side from the the time spent trying to remove them and cleaning up the mess on the boat, Im using braided line and wondering if there is a line they are less attracted to and what is the easyest way to get them off the line.

Thanks

Braided line is pretty bad for fleas. I have used the flea-flicker line from Cortland and it's ok but it twists a lot. I didn't really like it. Now I just use 30 pound big game line and it's not that bad. They have a harder time clinging to the larger diameter line. I use a 20 pound flourocarbon leader.

Welcome to site. Braid is a flea magnet. Heavy mono and wires do a much better job.

To remove them once on you line, reel the line until the wad of fleas is about 10 from your rod tip. Dip the tip in the water and then snap it upward as fast as you can. water will cut it right off. Some guys pound the rod tips into the water but I think that's a good way to break your rod.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Welcome to site. Braid is a flea magnet. Heavy mono and wires do a much better job.

To remove them once on you line, reel the line until the wad of fleas is about 10 from your rod tip. Dip the tip in the water and then snap it upward as fast as you can. water will cut it right off. Some guys pound the rod tips into the water but I think that's a good way to break your rod.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I took your advice from a previous post and it helps. Only thing that kept me reeling...

Fleas are not attracted to one type of line any more than they are to another, rather it is the diameter of the line that will affect the amount of fleas that attach to your line. The best results are achieved with using a larger diameter smooth line (Big Game 30#) or an out of round line (Flea flicker) thus increasing the distance that the "tail" of the flea must wrap around in order to attach.

In most cases the fleas picked up are dead and simply are snagged by the line, you can determine this by the color of the flea, clear to slightly yellow = living, grey or brown = dead. It seems the living ones come off eaiser then the dead ones.

Using 50# braid for dipsys is very do-able and is only slightly worse than wire based on my limited exerience.

That said, I have seen fleas so thick that they gather on rigger cables enough to stop the rigger, when they are that thick line diameter matters little!! I can only remember this happening once and had something to do with a drastic temp/current break that was indicated by a slick on a very calm day.

Thanks for every ones imput, I ordered the Cortland flea flicker from Fish Usa,couldn't find it any where local,good thing is Fish usa is in PA. and usually have things in 2-3 days the only down fall is loosng a couple days of fishing and respooling my reels.