Season's Over...who's bummed?

My boat has been out of the water for a couple of weeks and I've been jonesing to fish it some more. I guess I didn't get my fill this year. Even though I have bowhunting and skiing to keep me busy all fall & winter, it's still gonna be a long off-season. Who else is bummed that the season is over? What do you guys do over the fall & winter to keep yourselves occupied?

throw on the waders and fish steelhead, rabbit hunt, pheasant hunt, squirrel hunt, crow hunt, ice fish, (some deer, but I'm a pretty indifferent deer hunter, I perfer small game). I might try fall turkey this year, never done it, but spring turkey is one of my favorites, it's always something of a moral dilemma in May for me, do I turkey hunt or salmon fish.

besides, my season isn't quite over yet. I've got at least one more trip left when I drag the trailer up to pull the boat out for the season.

Tim

I have several Sage, G Loomis, Orvis, and St. Croix fly rods. Before we had kids, I used to spend countless hours in the tribs chasing steelies. My favorite rod for them is my 10' 7wt St. Croix Legend Elite...to my eye that rod is a work of art! Nowadays I get up a handful of times each year, but not like I used to. I think that this discussion may have re-inspired me to get back up there a few more times this fall!

RR, that would be fun. We need some rain though!! I used to stomp around fall and six mile creeks in the fall too. Let me know when you're going and if my schedule permits I'd love to come along!

I love this time of year too...I just miss trolling the big lake in my boat, that's all!

STEELHEAD,STEELHEAD,STEELHEAD,BROWNS,STEELHEAD. Genesee river,local tribs and oh yeah , the best of all, the Niagara. And on top of that i am going to get into ice fishing. I expect my sophmore year at the Niagara to be awesome this year, i will be there as much as i can afford.

Doug

Over??

This weekend should be good. As long as I can still launch, I'm heading out.

You guy's with larger boats that have pulled them for the season are more than welcome to take a run with me any day starting Thursday am. My 18 footer can only take myself and 3 others to fish comfortably.

I'm bummed the salmon season is over....no doubt!! I've been working on the boat doing things now instead of waiting till spring, while it's still fresh in my mind.

As for the fishing season...we now slip the boat in Sandy Hook NJ and we start our fall saltwater season for stripped bass, blues, etc. It run's till December when weather permits us to get out on the ocean. I'm trying to get our salmon team together for a trip one of these upcoming weeks.

Jan to april is the longest freaking time of the year.....isn't it?

Have fun doing what you do guys, and keep us posted on your fishing adventures, wherever they may take place.

Rod

Did someone mention ' jonesing ' ? LOL

The season ended poorly for us, dad fell off a ladder and broke a few important parts of his body and it out of commission for a while. The boat is already in storage.

To make it even more depressing, my parents are moving to South Carolina this winter and taking the boat with them!!! It looks like I am back to being a shore fisherman. I don't really have much to look forward to next spring... :(

Anyone need a deck hand? At the very least I can add two rods to your spread.

Hey mike jones, I actually talked to you at the launch this spring. I dont know if you remember, but i was asking about your boat and if you did the carpet and framing by yourself. I fish solo out of sandy alot and i would be more than happy to take you out. When the time comes let me know.

Doug

Like you said Bill, i'm also a bit bummed now that the boats out of the water.You're lucky,as you live fairly close to the lake compared to guys like me.

I keep the boat in Olcott,but i live in Massachusetts,and have a six hour drive,so when i look out of my office window on a friday and see it dead calm,i envy the guys who can get to lake and get a few hours of fishing in.

A few more years,and i'm planning on moving up that way.

In the meantime,i'm rebuilding a 23' Seacraft,and it keeps me plenty busy,as it's a total restroration.I'll have plenty to do this winter.I also get to look at all the catalogs and dream.

It will give me something to do picking out the electronics,radar,etc. for my project.

As a bonus Cabela's is opening a new store about a half hour from my home,so i know where my my buddys and i can kill some time in the off season

Why some of you guys pull out so soon I don't understand (your boats that is :shock: ) Trailers been welded and I'm gonna hit the depths at Sandy tomorrow for 1 more trip then maybe Sunday too, weather permitting. Then it's some fall bass fishing.

I don't hunt (except squirrels and now geese out that back of the house in my yard :evil: !) so I try to fish as late as I can.

Iam also keping my boat in another couple weeks. Going to try to catch some salmon and some bass. The weather is perfect right now. Except the waves. After we take the boat out of the water we dont do much. Iam going to try fishing the creeks and rivers this winter for steelhead.

Pat

Billy...

Hear you...tomorrow's going to be the last shot with the big

boat for the year....after which I'm going to do a rain dance to

get some H2O in the tribs! Wife had gotten me a pair of new

waders that need breakin time!!

John

The big boat doesn't get put away for at least another month! Then.. the little boat (14', 15hp) gets rigged and parked in it's place. I'll be pounding the Susky for walleye as long as the launches are open! Last year there were only 2 weeks all winter that I couldn't get in. The ice-guys looked at me funny as I drifted past them..but..I don't do ice! I've never fallen thru the bottom of a boat! I never did make it up to Ontario for salmon this year. I feel a bit guilty after all the advice and samples I got from several of you guys.. but.. just turned out to be one of those "crazy" summers. Only made it to Erie three times! Next year for sure! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

This was my 3rd year fishing Lake O with my buddies. Fished all 4 pro-ams, didn't do to shabby. Had a great year putting fish in the boat and learned something new everytime I went out with the guys. Spending time with good friends, doing something you all enjoy and have a passion for. Just doesn't get any better than that. Weather it's sitting on a hot ass boat in the middle of the day praying for even a false release for some kind of action, or weather it's scrambling through a triple 15 minutes after tournament fishing starts. It's all good, and I can't wait for next year.

Big thanks to each of you here on this board for all the information and stories shared.

And Big Props to my guys that are cool enough to include my in this thing we call salmon fishing on Lake O.

Jeff

Goudy

Rick

Thanks, and see you next year!

Nate

Hey guys, Thanks for sharing! It's nice to know I'm not alone with this "post season depression" I seem to suffer from. My wife thinks I'm nuts! My second season for NJ coastal Stripped bass ended before it started. I unloaded the big boat off the trailer to put it in her slip for the next month in Sandy Hook NJ, and spun the engine coupler on the starboard engine at the ramp ;(. Fishing the ocean on one motor ain't for me, so I pulled it and took her in for service.

Thanks for all your help Clark (Waterlogged)!! Thanks to you, I think the boat is in good hands.

So anyway.....I guess I need a teacher for this river fishing. I've never fished the tribs in winter, but it seems like a good year to start!

Rod