Popular Daiwa Sealines and Accudepth Plus reels hold less than 200 yards of 30 lb mono. This is insufficient for my tastes. I've been spooled this way. Moving to 25 lb gives you another 30 yards or so with little difference in performance with fleas and fish. You need to remember that nice kings can strip big lenghts of line. If you start with your rigger down deep, you may already have 150 feet or more of line out.

I locked up with a nice king last time out which took a rigger set at 120 with a 20 foot set back. It stopped running when the line counter said 1240 feet. This fish took 1100 feet of line (probably less but, the counter said 1100 feet). You can't do that with mono on most rigger reels. I spool on 300 yards of 30# Power Pro and then fill the reels with 25lb Big Game or Andie. Works well for me and I only have to change the shorter lenghts of mono each year versus respooling entire reels.

Generally 650 feet is fine. Every fish is a little different. You may however run into that "special" one once or twice a year that takes every inch of that and wants more.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

ps - remember to cut some off & retie after each fish.

I'm talking mainline. Some may say that going that heavy doesn't require retie. I advise retie after every fish:

1. The first 12 inches of mono stretches the most, especially on a vicious hit.

2. Salmon have teeth. This morning they were really smaking the lures. One good head shake or reverse in direction with a deep hook set & you have a nick in the line. You hear about bite-offs a lot.

3. Knots in mono cut into themselves when stressed.

4. The more knots you tie, the better you get at it. ;)

I'd advise you feel that last ft or so of line between you thumb & forefinger. Any roughness, visual "pig-tails" or if it doesn't feel like it just came off the spool - retie it. I normally cut about 3-4 ft off & throw it in my engine well. (Please don't throw it in the water.)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

You may however run into that "special" one once or twice a year that takes every inch of that and wants more.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Exactly! This was one of those "special" ones. And yes, it's 1 or 2 like this in a good year. Though few and far between, these rare fish are the ones for which we need extra line. The remaining 99.99 % will come to net with much less line. However, these rare fish are the ones that go on the wall or win money in tournaments and are therefore the ones that tackle should be prepared for, IMO. You don't get mulligans with big kings.

What is the minimum amount of 30lb mono for a downrigger reel?

I wouldn't run much less than 650 ft on the downrigger rods.

A quality reel with a good drag thats set right will stop all LO Kings by then.

Closest I've ever come to being spooled with a little more than 600 ft of 40 lb line was a 24 lb King that was hooked in the side.

We had to turn on that fish anyway because we couldn't gain any line back on him.

On my Shimano 600 Tekotas I fit about 750 ft of 30 lb Ande and never had a problem after thousands of LO of Kings.

Good luck

Glen