Canandaigua 7/15/2012

33canuck and fireplug joined me this morning and we were looking to get into some good action on the early bite. We blasted off past Squaw Island as we watched some lightning down south, hoping the severe weather would stay south. We ran down about mid lake setting up in 90 fow, I lowered the probe rigger first with a glow green stickbait just 6 feet off the shark, temp on surface was 80, temp at 35 ft was 74, then got 65 degrees at 40. We kept the speed on the Subtroll 900 at 1.5 mph, as we set the other two riggers at 55 with j9 GFR, and 65 with stinger mag nbk. Wires weren't even set when the 40' probe rigger fired. Took a real nice smallmouth 4lbs, quite a long fish and dark markings. Let him go and reset just a little deeper, moving the other riggers down a bit as well. Wires were out 195 with a gator spin dr with nbk fly, 265 with a livewire spin dr and green hammer fly. Both of those wires took good hits, we dropped a couple wire fish but the gator/nbk combo was hot. Kurt had his copper down the chute 350' back with a glow spin dr and mirage fly and took a smaller laker, I had my 300' copper out on church board with a 3/4 oz. firetiger daredevle spoon and I got a little one too. When I reset that daredevle spoon it swam a little longer before taking a nice shot, I fought him for bit while Kurt was setting his new cowbell set up with a watermelon hammerhead troll followed by his handtied spin and glows, we were keeping the speed at 1.5 and that was just a tad too slow for me to keep the nice one I had on hooked. Fish popped off on the surface about 100 feet back, reset. The wire rods with Kurt's combos took most of our fish including a Frankenfish with bulging eye and lamprey like scar on his head. Kurt's Hammerhead cowbells and spin and glows took fish too. I kept one nice fish to eat but should have kept the other nice size laker we caught because by around 8:15am it looked like were were in for a storm. We were south of long point by the time we had all the rods in and it was a total downpour. With some lightning flashing I took no chances and took shelter at Pelican Point Marina. We tied up and I was in awe of the torrential downpour we were in, Kurt kept his eye on the radar on his phone while I made sure the bilge pump was working as it should and cleared some debris from the weep holes at the battery box wells. When it looked like there would be break we shot out there fast as hell. Good thing the Brown How'ND is running in tip top condition and we did about 43 mph back to the safety of Sutter's Marina. Good fishing until that storm drenched us, some smaller fish but we did get a couple good sized lakers to the boat. The big bass was a highlight since I have not caught one on a rigger in couple of years. Supposedly there was bass tourney on Canandaigua today according to the clerk at Sunoco on Main St. I venture a guess that I would have had the big fish of the day in the bass tournament.

I will post my pics and Kurt and Todd will post their pics too. Also as a point of interest, Tom's Mobil on Main St. Canandaigua has ethanol free gas for sale. They are located on north bound side of Main St next to Pizza Hut.

100_4635.jpg

100_4636.jpg

100_4638.jpg

100_4639.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

100_4640.jpg

100_4641.jpg