Wire Line Setups

Just purchased a pair of wire rod setups from a friend moving out of town. I always wanted a set. First time out got a back lash behind the spool and had to cut the wire and slowly pull it out from behind the spool. I have been searching for the crimps and U bend thing that goes in the swivel without much luck. I found the small crimps but where do you get that little U shape tube that goes thru the swivel since mine is now attached to a King in the lake along with a dipsey and flasher fly setup :(

I believe there is 30lb wire on there but on my other rod I also already had a fray. He told me they are only 1 year old but I really don't trust the wire on either of them now after losing a whole setup and almost loosing another. Does anyone have any tips for me as I honestly wasn't impressed with the wire other than keeping the sea fleas off compared to my braid dipsey rods. I might just go out and buy braid to put on them this year instead of the $44 spool of #30lb wire at gander mountain.

Double the line and then tie the overhand knot with both lines creatting a loop. Push the loop through the eye of the swivel and then the swivel through the loop. Pull tight. Basicaly the same as above just the overhand is in both lines.

here's what they said above step by step with pictures

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

never use crimps, causes a weak spot in the wire, as you've already discovered

I run both wire and braid and for whatever reason, my wires always take a lot more shots that the braids, regardless of what I'm running on them.

Tim

What kind of reels are you using and are the spools full?

With wire, one must keep the line tight at all times so it can't relax and loosen up the top layers on the spool. I've found Convectors to have a larger gap between the spools and frame which seems to suck up loose wraps easily. Full spools are good but, overfilling a wire reel will greatly increase your risk of getting a loose wrap behind the spool. Always ensure your wire is deplyed slowly and under tension using the drag. Cut off ALL frays and sharp kinks. As stated, the overhand wire knott is the way to go. If you get line behind the spool, strip the line down to the spot where it went under and cut it off. You can quickly retie the overhand knott. It is the simplest knott you will have on any of your gear.

Used to use crimps, but on a buddy's boat this year, he didnt have any and we needed to put the swivel on the wire. I passed the end of the wire through the swivel twice and then 2 overhand knots of the tag end and the main line above the swivel about an inch. I haven't had one break all season.

Thanks for the tips guys - will give it a shot - just ran out to see what kind of reels they are Okuma mag pros 30 DX's. My other reels are sealine 47LC which I have never had an issue. Once the season is over I will have the man go thru them as I don't know if it was the steel or the drag as it seemed not to smooth. I just took them both to my town park and made my kid do the walk to the horizon. One of them I found a couple kinks and I had to cut line so its done. The other one looks pretty good and I will give her one more shot without the crimps.

Not trying to start a food fight but, IMO, Magdas are bottom basement for wire dipsies. They have the same wide spool to frame gaps as Convectors and they have less-than-adequate drags for dipsies. A lot of them get sold on dipsy-ready, wire combos. They catch a price concious eye however; there is a big difference between price concious and value concious purchases. I suggest you put your wire on your Sealines which, work very well with wire and will last for years. Then spool mono on your Magdas for your riggers. The larger spool to frame gap will not be a problem with 25 or 30lb mono. You will be much happier this way. The smoother drag on the Sealines will go a long way towards ending your wire problems.

+1

We've got Magda combos for the riggers and planers - 'cuz they were 4 for $180. They work but you definitely get what you pay for. Our dipsies are on a Sealine and a Convector - MUCH better quality.

Not trying to start a food fight but, IMO, Magdas are bottom basement for wire dipsies. They have the same wide spool to frame gaps as Convectors and they have less-than-adequate drags for dipsies. A lot of them get sold on dipsy-ready, wire combos. They catch a price concious eye however; there is a big difference between price concious and value concious purchases. I suggest you put your wire on your Sealines which, work very well with wire and will last for years. Then spool mono on your Magdas for your riggers. The larger spool to frame gap will not be a problem with 25 or 30lb mono. You will be much happier this way. The smoother drag on the Sealines will go a long way towards ending your wire problems.

X2

I have magdas for the riggers (upgrading this yr) and use accudepths and sealines for the wire rods.

Spike