volvo 5.0

times two

Capt John ,i ant no proffesunal on volvo even if its a great engine maybe borderline could give a heads up on price of basic replacment parts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a friend of mine owns a marina and it was about 750.00 for a engine water pump,i dont know what moter he was quoting but that could be a concern if your budgets like mine ...0000000000000000 Ray K.

Dear Captain John F.

This is either a 5.0 GM or 5.0 Ford powered sterndrive. GTX is not referenced in any of my Volvo data for 2000 up. These Volvo marinized engines are good units, but the service parts can be a real headache at times. (Price & Availibility) Starters & alternators can be had, but if this unit has a computer set-up, STEP WAY BACK! These newer electronic units start at $800 and up. Very few people have access to the test equipment and priced out of Site!.

If your going to use this unit in a Charter application, Beware of the high service parts cost! and lack of service parts available on short notice.

Sincerely,

Jet Boat Bill

Thanks Borderline. Been reading up a bit on the Seaswirl owners

site...starters/alternators....

I have my heart set on a 4 stroke...want to get back to an O/b..

so I'm going to look at the i/o with an open mind, but I think I'm

going to hold out for what I really want....

John

Capt. John. I had a 1988 Volvo that used a 350hp GM engine. Pluses..water impeller on engine block, didn't have to tear down lower unit to exchange. I always carried a spare.. one time replaced at sea...10 min job. Lower unit was sweet, didn't have to remove every season... I had it 15 years, never had it off. Lower unit uses 10-30 oil, Had to change hydraulic trim hoses and prop seals. That was it. Minuses....finding Good Volvo shop.

John if you look at 4-stroke O/B, check out Honda.... third season so far.... love it... Quieter than the rest.... they must be bullet proof. Check the boat/motor sections of some of the sites like Walleye central.....very few reports, in a search all the others have multiple hits. I think it is just because they have very few breakdowns.

Good luck