Green Dolphin - Oswego County Pro Am Open Division report

I finally got to fish in the Open Division for the first time and must say we all had a great time. My boat is docked in Sodus so we decided to fish out of Sodus and drive to Oswego to weigh in. Turns out it was much better fishing in Sodus this weekend...lucky for us!

Saturday put a nice 3 fish box of Kings together for a weight of 44.19 lbs. Thought it would be pretty good. My goal going into it was a 45 lb box on Saturday and we almost met that goal. Here is Saturdays results:

2012-07-14_12-41-13_569.jpg

Sunday started out slow with nothing until about 630 am when we get a downrigger to go. Barry (Yukonstu1) grabs the rod and it is game on! As he is fighting the fish which he says is BIG the other downrigger fires. I grab the rod and realize it is pretty small. I quickly get it to the boat and find that I have a 12" Brown on the slider and a 2 lb Laker on the bottom spoon. I immediately release both. (2 for 2 so far). As Barry continues to fight the fish our copper rod starts going nuts. My girlfriend AKA Coppergirl grabs it. I think it is Barry's fish tangled in the copper so I tell her to let it free spool. Big Mistake because it turns out it was a fish....and we lost it. Barry finally gets the fish close enough to see and he says it is a beast! I finally get a look at all I can say is WOW! He brings it to the boat like thepro he is and we net it without issue. That thing hits the deck and it was a HOG!

The picture does not do it justice as this fish was by far the fattest fish I have ever seen. This fish had a bigger girth than the 77 lb sailfish I have hanging on my wall. Here is Barry with it.

2012-07-15_16-49-26_442.jpg

My scale was bouncing between 31 lbs and 33.7 lbs so we decided to run in and weigh it for the LOC. This cost us about 1 hour of prime fishing time but we thought we might have a top 3 fish and wanted to get it on the scales. We went in to Warren's and the official weight was 30 lbs 14 oz and is now in 11th place in the LOC.

We got back out on the lake and reset lines. Trolled around for about 1.5 hours with nothing to show except a 21.5" steelhead. The rules for the tourney state that if we attempt to weigh in a steelhead between 21 and 21.5 inches we are penalized with loss of fish (10 points) and an additional penalty of 25 points. We threw it in the box just in case and were going to decide on that fish later. Since we wre so far from Oswego we really needed to pull lines by 10:30 and get going. At about 9:30 we still needed 2 fish and we were getting stressed. We hate to waste that big beast with nothing to back it up. Finally we get some action and landed a 5 lb steel and a 19 or so lb king.

We ran to Oswego and finished 2nd on Sunday, won the overall for the weekend (although there is no prize for overall in Open Division), won big fish of the day, and won big Steelhead of the day! We were the only team to weigh a steelhead in on Sunday!

Sundays results:

2012-07-15_12-38-12_995.jpg

The cash and prizes were GREAT! A-tom-mik, Dreamweaver, Shark Weights, Savant Spoon, Mad River Sports, Great Lakes Angler, Lake Ontario Outdoors, Dunkin Donuts, Outdoor News...Thanks for stepping up. All I can say is Awesome!

2012-07-15_18-37-38_860.jpg

good for you 1 week yer landing the biggest salmon on yer boat to date and the next yer raking in the money,,,,so do ya think 2.4 mph is really too slow now?

I never go below 2.4 :yes: We catch em on plane in Sodus :rofl:

great job.so let me get this stright... if i hit a huge one i got to fig out if i ant it for the open or for the loc??? that kinda bites. o well, hope to see you out there this weekend and good luck to you

Nice job Wayne!!!

Do you have a fish hawk probe or other? 2.4mph is slow on a fish hawk, but speedy on a depthraider! Good luck to you this weekend, we'll be up against you on Saturday, nothing like a bit of friendly competition to make me fall on my face haha :*

Nick

great job.so let me get this stright... if i hit a huge one i got to fig out if i ant it for the open or for the loc??? that kinda bites. o well, hope to see you out there this weekend and good luck to you

You can weigh the fish for both....but, If you want to weigh it as soon as you catch it before it loses a few ounces you gotta pull lines and head in to a weigh station. That fish weighed 30 lbs 14 oz at 7:30 am but weighed only 30 lbs 10 oz. We used it for both the LOC and the tournament. Many times 4 ounces makes a huge difference in what place you come in so you want to weigh it as soon as possible for the LOC.

Nick, I have a Sub-Troll and I usually run between 2 and 2.5 on it but I always verify by looking at the down rigger wires and the diver rods. I know for sure I troll about 1 mph faster thatn Lake Trout Buffy Ray :lol: Looking forward to next weekend. You doing Big Fish Friday also?

Thanks Motoman!

Nick, I have a Sub-Troll and I usually run between 2 and 2.5 on it but I always verify by looking at the down rigger wires and the diver rods. I know for sure I troll about 1 mph faster thatn Lake Trout Buffy Ray :lol: Looking forward to next weekend. You doing Big Fish Friday also?

No probably not, but I'll ask the team and see what they want to do. I'm fishing on someone else's boat, so it's really up to him.

Nick

You can weigh the fish for both....but, If you want to weigh it as soon as you catch it before it loses a few ounces you gotta pull lines and head in to a weigh station. That fish weighed 30 lbs 14 oz at 7:30 am but weighed only 30 lbs 10 oz. We used it for both the LOC and the tournament. Many times 4 ounces makes a huge difference in what place you come in so you want to weigh it as soon as possible for the LOC.

thanks i wasnt sure

haha why did he bite your line instead of ours we were right by you the hole morning haha but congratulations. awsome fish might want to put that on the wall. going to get you a bunch of money between the two...Its Ed from hot flash talked to you at the wiegh in...you guys fishing sodus pro-am this weekend?

1 100th of a lb is seperating 1 st place from 2nd.. many 1000's of dollars difference in 4 or 5 drops of slime,,unless i had a 5 lb over fish in the lead and was in the pro devision i would get DQ'd for a loc fish ,unless we had a 500pt cooler too :lol:

haha why did he bite your line instead of ours we were right by you the hole morning haha but congratulations. awsome fish might want to put that on the wall. going to get you a bunch of money between the two...Its Ed from hot flash talked to you at the wiegh in...you guys fishing sodus pro-am this weekend?

Hey Ed. Good talking with you. We got lucky...you know how it is. We are fishing Sodus in open division. Hope to see you there. Your team shirts are awesome. My girlfriend is jealous and wants to get shirts for us. I told her OK as long as they are not pink!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hey what's wrong with pink? :P

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I was waiting for you to say something about the pink! :P ..Yah i will be fishing with a buddy from the blue eyed lady team and a few of his friends form illinois who havent fished kings before so it should be interesting :lol: but we'll see you at the wiegh in for sure.

Nice weekend Wayne....congrats :yes: I am fishing the open with two kids this weekend....they are pretty excited and ready to give you some more competition :D

Again...congrats on the productive weekend.

Nice weekend Wayne....congrats :yes: I am fishing the open with two kids this weekend....they are pretty excited and ready to give you some more competition :D

Again...congrats on the productive weekend.

Thanks! I look forward to the competition. We truly have been pretty lucky lately. I hope our luck holds out at least for this weekend :yes: