Which marine radio?

genEus

Can someone knowledgeable explain to me why I should spend $120 on radio A instead of $69 on radio B? I have a small boat that I don't plan to take out further than a couple miles off the shore of Lake Ontario. If I don't *need* the more expensive unit I'd rather spend the money on tackle, etc.

Thank you.

A) Uniden MHS125 Marine Handheld Radio

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O2 ... 1_1&sr=8-1

B) Uniden Atlantis 250BK 16-Channel VHF Waterproof Two-Way Marine Radio

http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-Atlantis-1 ... roduct_top

Handheld is ok for a backup in a ditch bag but your main radio should be boat-mounted and have at least a 5 foot antenna. VHF transmission is line-of-sight; you might not be able to raise another boat if all you have is a handheld.

Handheld is ok for a backup in a ditch bag but your main radio should be boat-mounted and have at least a 5 foot antenna. VHF transmission is line-of-sight; you might not be able to raise another boat if all you have is a handheld.

I'm running out of places to mount stuff! I don't think my little Alumacraft was meant for big water. :$ Time to buy a bigger boat? heh. I assume then I can still pick up the NOAA weather channels right, even with a handheld one, yes?

See lots of people moving up or down each season - 14 to 16ft, 18 to 20, 21 to 24 and a big jump to 10 meter.

A handheld should still pick up NOAA and reach the Coast Guard since they have the highest receiving antenna. Get the more expensive one - it floats.

I bring my little 14.5 foot fishing machine up to Sodus each year for a family vacation. I couldn't mount a fixed VHF on it so I bought the Atlantis 250. It receives NOAA weather, Coast Guard and most other channels pretty well, but I stay VERY close to land!

Dave

I STRONGLY suggest having (2) radios onboard, especially if you're out on the lake. One fixed-mount and one handheld. If you happen to lose all power on the boat and can't call for help on the fixed-mount, with the handheld as a backup, you have a chance of reaching someone. Without it, you're in a bit of a dilema. I was recently boarded by the USCG and they did a full check of everything on the boat. At the end of the inspection, the Chief Officer handed me the paperwork and told me he hasn't seen a boat as well equipped as mine in awhile and that I actually was a bit overkill on items. After explaining my reasoning to him, he fully agreed it's better to have too much than not enough. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra money to ensure my crew, guests and myself are protected and covered should the poo-poo hit the fan in a hurry. Just my $0.02.

A good idea is to install a charging port for your cell phone.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I got 2 12V "cigarette lighter" jacks in the Minn Kota Power Center I got... And I bought the more expensive.. MHS125 radio. Hope to never need it. Given that I fish a few hours once a week or once every two weeks, and the chances of me getting out in Ontario have to do with good weather coinciding with those times when I'm available, which will make it even more rare that I get out there, I think a good quality handheld like this should give me good peace of mind; and I'll get a stationary radio when I get a "real" boat that I'll take out farther and more often on the big lake.

Thanks for everyone chiming in!