Okuma Convector

Thinking about ordering a set of these for my riggers, wire, and copper. Obviously I'll need different size reels for these applications but I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with these reels. Probably going to pair with blue diamond rods.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

What's the reason to run different sizes for different applications? I have 3 Okuma Convectors 45, and one Magda Pro 30DX. I spooled them all identically, 300yds of 30lb big game as a backer, plus 300yds of 30lb braid.

And I'm certainly no pro, but I followed this board's advice and bought the Convectors. I have nothing to compare with but I haven't had any equipment malfunctions yet. (Knock on wood).

(FWIW, they're $69.99 on Amazon with free shipping.)

What's the reason to run different sizes for different applications? I have 3 Okuma Convectors 45, and one Magda Pro 30DX. I spooled them all identically, 300yds of 30lb big game as a backer, plus 300yds of 30lb braid.

And I'm certainly no pro, but I followed this board's advice and bought the Convectors. I have nothing to compare with but I haven't had any equipment malfunctions yet. (Knock on wood).

(FWIW, they're $69.99 on Amazon with free shipping.)

if you use them as dipsey reels and dont completely fill the spools the line counter does not read accurately thus you may be off on what depth you are fishing

I have 2 55s for my copper, 2 45s for my salmon rigger rods, 2 30s for my wire line dipseys and 1 20 for one if my brown trout rigger rods and not a single issue with any of them I have a few penn 320s and Okuma magdas which are used in my junk rods and back up or stacker rods. The thing I really like about the Convectors is the over sized handles. I have become used to that when I use another style reel I miss how you can really crank down on it. Especially after a long battle with a king on the copper. I also have two Catalinas that I use one my brown trout rods before the fleas set up. They also have the same style hand but a smoother drag system. You really cant go wrong with a convector reel for the money IMO. good luck to you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I retooled everything with convectors last year (Coppers, riggers, leadcore, and divers) and have been very pleased with them so far.

As far as reel size...

riggers= 30

wire divers= 30

10 color leadcore= 45

200 copper= 45

300-450 copper= 55

They have a few choices for rigger rods but for copper and leadcore i would highly suggest Classic Pro GLT Copper/Leadcore Rod (model CP-CL-862M).

https://www.okumafishing.com/

I just spooled one up the other day (convector 30d) with 300 ft of 30lb big game then a full spool of 30 lb 7 strand wire and it filled it up nicely without overfilling.

I guess my memory was correct about getting 100 yds of mono backing under the wire on a 30D. ;)

Convector's are a good reel with a good drag. The Magda is ok for Lake Erie will not hold up with Ontario's big fish. We had a 17lb.steelhead tear the guts out of a Magda 30.