Snubbers with wire divers?

This is the first year for me with wire. I keep the drag set loose enough that if I hit a wave the diver will pull some line. I have lost a bunch of rigs since using wire and fish! I didn't think that guys really used snubbers but I can't afford to keep losing tackle. Any answers?? Snubbers or not?

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Full set up: 10' okuma GLT dipsey rod with twill tip.

Okuma Magda 30 reel. (Will be switching to convectors soon)

30 lb 7 stand wire, spro 60lb swivel, dipsy, 10' of 30 lb fluoro leader to my paddle and fly.

Like I said, I'm setting my drag just tight enough that the dipsey isn't continuously pulling line off the reel. If i go over say like a 2' wave the drag will let line out. I really can't set it any looser. I lost 4 rigs the other day from the dipsy leader snapping. Also lost an entire rig, dipsey and all. I felt like i was tossing $20 bills into the lake all day.

Start off with 40,to 50 lb leader from dypsy to spinny,lighter will work but a big boy (or smaller) tail will beat yer leader many hundreds of time swimmin away on each run....

Make shure your dypsy is set soo loose it "almost" trips on its own,you will get better and more hookups...HOW? when yer dypsy trips it flips and pulls to the side ,up,or whatever direction puttin yer spinny sideways for a sec increasing hook pressure and "suprising fish" causing it to swim oppisite direction....

Plus when you go to trip to reel in you wont be stressing yer line knots.

If yer loosing whole rig it ant nothing more than mishandling ,careless deploying (kinks,or goofy swivel angle) ,,storage of wire rod ,,freys weakspots,, Or the guys downrigger you just cut off........................... :o

our biggest problem is coming from your poor quality reel. Magdas are not known for their drags---I don't even like them for walleyes. A sticky drag and too much angler pressure will break a lot of leaders. Like Ray said, go heavier on your leader and buy a better reel.

You said your losing rigs from the flourocarbon leader breaking?...30 lb should not break off on a fish even if the salmon is particularly savage. Provided you have good knots...tied carefully and lubed. Ray is correct about the dipsy set just enough...in other words ya gotta give a slight sweep of the rod at 2.8 mph to trip it. Sounds like everything else is right. Try a different kind of knot for the flouro....one that uses a double wrap on the ring. Be sure you are NOT using those split ring swivels. Use welded one piece.

Suggested knot is a double improved clinch knot or perfection loop half hithed to the rings.

Mark

I use exactly your setup, except for the reels which are Oukuma Convectors 30D. I do not use snubbers, I am one of those that believes they result in poor hookups.

I have not lost any rig in over 1 year.

And the one that I did lose ... it was the knot I was using to tie my leader.

Fluoro type line is not the problem.

30# is not the problem.

Wire is not the problem.

Swivel is not the problem.

I would check three things in order of preference:

(1) Your knot. I use the uni-knot. Go to this link: http://www.thefishinggeek.com/fishing-k ... ing-knots/

(2) Your reels. I would definitely replace these sooner rather than later. Poor drag control will cause line snaps on big fish.

(3) how good is your fluoro line. Is it old? Is it a decent brand (Seagar, P-Line)?

Mark

ditch the magda and run mono to the flasher, no need for floro as this is not a stealthy presentation and the mono will give more due to stretch. what you've already lost in tackle would've paid for a better reel...I learned that the hard way too. We run 50# big game between dipsy and fly and use a dreamweaver snubber some of the time but not always. downside to 50# is if you have a blemish in your wire you'll lose everything--not just the flasher/fly.

Haven't lost any setups this year but have lost a couple hooks. Check your leaders and wire frequently, wire is very abrasive and will scuff your leader material if they touch and if the wire gets kinked or frays you'll lose everything.

we moved away from okuma products all together. too much trouble with every one i owned...magda..convector...avenger...all drag issues...too tight ....too loose...none at all...swithced to daiwa and shimano and no more issues...costly but better than lost tackle/fish for me...watch for sales and use coupons..or buy used.

If its breakin on the first hit and run gotta be knot ya tied OR knot in line from not checking leader ...you will be suprised how laying a leader down for 1 sec and ya pickit back up and ya pulled it through its self and made a knot...specially sliders...dont be afraid to "test" yer knots after running them a while..Like mark said a dry knot in the water going through all kinds of stress and temp change will slip and cut the line or just untie on its own....If ya would quite messin with those overgrown pickerals you would know this stuff by now!!

P.S. the river system feeding the Chemung is super low you know them big 5ft hybreds ant got many holes to hide in...I,ve seen some allagators over the years that almost scare ya ive never targeted them but some locals get some over 45 in.. I know one Ive seen was close or over 5 ft

30# torpedo 7strand. Standard dipsy no snubber. 30# mono Leader works best for me. It has enough stretch to handle those big hits. As mentioned by Ray, check your knots and wire often. Always and I mean always keep tension on your wire. It only takes a little slack in the wire for it to twist, kink and break.

As far as the reels go. I to started with the mag pros and they got me by until I got my convectors. I do like the convectors a lot but the ones I put on my wire setups are starting to show some wear. A king broke the secondary drag and clicker the other day. I would step up to the catalina or the clarions for the wire rod. At least that's my plan.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Definitely plan on changing reels as soon as I can. I can't see using 40 or 50 lb test on the leader. I've caught 200 lb Ahi on 50 lb. Just seems extreme for 20-30 lb fish. I like the idea of switching from fluoro to mono. It could very well be the drag on the magda reels.

Sounds like you might have your dispey release set a little to tight.

I use 40 lb mono. Why would you need 30 for a dipsey leader when the fly you use is 50 ? For spoons off a dispey, 40 works fine for salmon. You can downsize and increase the hits you might get, but at the risk of loosing tackle if you get a brute. For most lake O salmon, 30 will do, but the occasional monster you will encounter every once In a great while will test your equipment to the max and expose the weakest link.

Check your leader for nicks. The only time I lost a set-up was when i had a nicked leader. I had a feeling we had dragged bottom at one point that day. An hour later hooked a fish and it broke my buddy off and took the new green dot spinny and Ron's morning wood fly.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I had similar issues with flourocarbon leaders and it turned out to be the knot.

Improved clinch does not work with flourocarbon. It slips and unties.

Switched to uniknot and no more problems.

I run 30 lb wire, use a half hitch Knot with a double loop for added strength, use snubbers and switched to 50lb leader years ago after breaking off some real screamers when they hit using 30 lb leaders and that is with the drag so lose it clicks away on turns and rough water but I am using Okumo Convectors. Never lost a rig since switching over to 50 lb leaders. I do miss some hookups and was assuming it might be small fish or fish hitting the flasher. I typically run flasher fly combos and the Atomic flies with the double hooks usually do the job as they come with good sharp hooks so I was assuming it was not a snubber problem. Maybe I am wrong though??

This is something that has happened to me, when going out in rough water, like the big "O" usually is. If you have your rig all set to go in your pole holders the heavy rocking back and forth from the dipsy will fray the line. This happend to me my first time out with wire, I no longer keep them in the holders as we drive out to depth. Hope this tip helps, good luck and good fishing.