lowrance after 5 years no repairs

Just to let everybody know that was thinking of buying a lowrance product after your unit is 5 years old it cannot be repaired anymore and is obsolete they told me even if they made that unit 2 years after you bought it but you have owned it for 5 years we cannot repair it and I was not looking for anything free I'm willing to pay to get it repaired before I contacted them I purchasing hds 5 and I think I'm regretting that now I guess this is just some food for thought before you purchase the unit

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Im using a lowrance hd 10 only because it came with the boat. It has occassional issues. When I need a new one it wont be a lowrance. Had many issues in the past with the other boat.

My lowrance is dead. A combo lms335 that no longer is used for finding stuff under the boat. Only for navigation now. Raymarine is taking the place of sounder. It is also an obsolete model, but works great. Raymarine would most likely be the replacement on my boat again, although I have not needed to ask for repairs or techs.

In Cabelas or Bass Pro, I always ask at the desk where they are suppose to be knowledgeable, "when was the last time and how often do you see a rep from lowrance show up here." Then ask .."what about Humminbird"....those are the two main sounder navigation units they sell.....guess what they say about each ones follow-up on their product issues.

It's not Loweance that ever finishes ahead I'll admit.

Mark

I wouldn't be so pissed off If they would just repair it and charge me for it they say they can't even repair it because it's over 5 years old go figure a product sold in america can't be repaired after 5 years screw it just replace it right the crazy part is we just keep letting it happen

I had a mixed experience recently. Had two identical units, bought 2 years apart. The first one stopped working. The second I used once, then didn't touch for three years as I didn't fish. Stored indoors. Went back out and the third day half the screen goes bad.

So I get in touch- they say they can't fix the first one as it's too old, but the second one they will honor the warranty because I didn't use it. (They can check internal memory to see usage history to verify my story.)

Points for fixing an out of warranty unit for free, but the older unit they won't touch even though it's the exact same model. Huh?!?!

Lowrance has been on that same planned obsolescence schedule for decades. Did they offer to let you trade it in for $250 off a new one? That's their usual game.

They did not offer me anything. The guy I spoke on the phone is actually kind of rude. I asked if I can speak to a supervisor he says supervisors do not speak over the phone he said what's your email address and I'll have to get back to you. Guess what gentlemen I'm still waiting for that e-mail

Funny I just spoke to the lowrance people yesterday and got the same story on my LCX 16C and MT 15, a rep did give me two options to try which are a soft re-boot which is while their is power to the unit, with it turned off, press and hold the PAGES button while simultaneously press and hold the Power (on) button, when the warning comes on about not relying on the GPS turn the unit off immediately. If that doesn't work try the same thing ( hard re-boot) holding both the Zoom In and Zoom Out buttons while pressing the Power button. In my case the 16C didn't correct anything but straigntened out a glitch on the MT15 where you couldn't press the menu button twice to access the menu items. For me I wouldn't buy Lowrance again except for at Cabelas bargain barn where I got mine for $450 and $150 respectively.Why would you with that repair policy? I see Furuno in my future. Any body know about Furuno's warranty policy and service?

Beware.........we live in a throw-a-way economy..........NOTHING is built to last I have come around to this mode of thinking:

Buy the least expensive model with the options that you want when it breaks, buy another one. My grandmother died with the same fridge and stove she had when my mother was in the house --- I can't get a stove or fridge to last more than 7 years!!!

On my boat I run a raymarine fish finder that I picked up on closeout for $299 and a garmin plotter that I paid $325 for in 2004. When they break -- I'll search for some other unit on closeout.........who knows maybe it will be a Furuno??? I'm just glad the X4 is a solid unit 'cause it's data is what is really important for catching fish on a daily basis.

Update my "mixed" experience to downright crappy one:

Now I'm pissed... just heard from Lowrance again- after agreeing to honor the warranty on the unit that was several years old but broke after maybe 10 hrs use, they are now refusing to honor it. And to send it back to me would cost 60 bucks! It was sort-of usable and would have been okay as an emergency back up. So not only did they make a poor product, they misled me about fixing it and are now holding it hostage.

Now I'm about to return the new 5x-Pro I bought because they misled me, have crappy customer service, and crappy products to boot. No way do I want to support this company. I only hope Lowrance eats the cost of the return instead of BPS. :no::@:no::@:no::@:no::@:no:

Final Update:

After some back and forth with Lowrance I got them to honor the original agreement and they will either repair or replace the unit. :yes: I originally wrote to just complain about the quality, they were the ones who offered to fix the out of warranty unit in the first place which was a pleasant surprise.

What happened was the CS tech who got the unit did not get the info on what led to the offer, so they just gave me the standard response not realizing they were making an exception. This all took three weeks of messages back and forth before finally speaking to someone this morning. So, thanks for that! +1 again for customer service but the facts are two units died a quick death, one in 13 months and the other in several days of use spread over 3 years. Glad I'll have a backup now.

Beware.........we live in a throw-a-way economy..........NOTHING is built to last I have come around to this mode of thinking:

Buy the least expensive model with the options that you want when it breaks, buy another one. My grandmother died with the same fridge and stove she had when my mother was in the house --- I can't get a stove or fridge to last more than 7 years!!!

You are 100% correct Captain Carl. I'm quite sure that your grandmothers fridge and stove were made in the USA, not some third world country!

I've never seen an electronics product that wasn't outdated the day it was bought.

I dunno. Once they got rid of that sweet gal at the front desk, I was worried.

I run 2 hds units, and my old standby, lcx 104. All work great. I dont know what I would do if the lcx died. Very particular about my locators. Not ready to jump to the birds. But customer service has to get better.

I have an older LMS 480 M that came with the used boat I boat in 2008, the gps puck quit last fall and the sounder capabilities seemed weaker. So I purchased a new transducer in February and mounted it, I am so impressed with the new ducer it gives a great picture just like the color Raymarine DSX 400 on my old 14 footer. Just sayin, my sonar view is way better now, I jumped off the back of my boat to swim yesterday and could hear the "pings" or clicks off the ducer.

I would love to have a Furuno though!

My buddy was told the same thing, no repairs after 5 yrs. & of corse the thing is just 6 yrs old but like new cond. They won't even look at it to tell him what might be wrong & he is willing to pay for it ! I was told the same thing on a older lms 350 but they did offer me $200 off a new one but that was 2 yrs. ago that probably wouldn't work now. It does suck!