torpedo speed and temp cable - support

Just wanted to post a + note for Torpedo Divers support......

I'd ordered a 200 ft spool of speed and temp cable, and while installing it found a twisted/broken stainless strand about 50 ft into the cable.....

Emailed TD with a couple of pictures of the defect on Monday, asked for a replacement by the weekend..... and sure enough..... got the replacement spool on Thursday.....good deal.

They do have great support for a product that doesn't work as advertised. I spooled up a new torpedo cable and antenna and water tested it today. It held steady at 50 feet and was intermitent to 83 feet. Dead beyond that. The liquid electrical tape is now curring on a new coated cable assembly. Anyone want my torpedo cable? Cheap, only used for 2 hours.

Edit: I'm using Depth Raider

My torpedo cable wire works great. The deepest I have been with it is 130 feet. I will never go back to coated cable. When I first put my connections together, I forgot to follow step 7 and it would not work. So, I redid it including step 7 and it finally worked. Guess I was too excited to see how it works to re-read each step to make sure I was putting it together correctly. Works great now.

Here are the steps.

http://www.torpedodivers.com/faqs.asp

We had 4 or 5 guys at my small marina install the new cable and antenna. Not a single one worked and they were all installed per the instruction pamphlet. 1 charter captain even had Torpedo install the clinher after working with them for a month. It still wouldn't work correctly.

Glad your's worked.

I stripped all mine off and threw it in the trash. 2 sharks and 2 probes to the bottom of the lake was enough. If you are running it on the new HP scottys beware.

What exactly happened?

I am running the probe on 2116's with the new cable and seem to have good readings down to 130 feet so far

Mike

Mine works but I am forever splashing water on the antenna? I spoke with Matt and he asked for pictures. I told him it worked to 150ft down but the connection at the antenna dries up. Also when I first deploy the probe and the cable is dry I have to keep on splashing it on the way down or send it down deep then bring it back up to search for temps. In my opinion it is not worth the money.

What system are you using? Depth Raider? Subtroll?

Does the TD cable seem to work better with one than the other?

I'm using a Depth Raider, and had poor performance with the TD Cable over the weekend, but then after reading posts here I realized that I hadn't stripped the copper like in "step 7"..... fixed that last night, but have yet to try it on the lake.....

I bought the new TD antenna and a 300' spool of TD wire this spring, but after talking to Brian and hearing about him losing 2 probes and sharks already from the cable breaking, I ended up putting on the new antenna but I transferred the new last year, 300' spool of coated cable from my old Scotty to the new HP Scotty and sold the 300' spool of TD cable. Last weekend even with the new brass antenna, I lost signal at about 80' with the coated cable. Previously with the Depth Raider spring antenna, I was good down over 140.

Didn't get the boat out this past weekend, but hopefully I can figure out a way to get better depth with the coated cable or I may have to buy another spool of TD cable and cross my fingers.

Tim

Try as I might, I couldn't get the TD cable to work reliably..... went back to black plastic coated cable, and had continuous Depth Raider readings to 120' today.......... Wanted to get away from the standard coated cable, but just couldn't. I'll be trying to return the product to TD.......

• 10 months later...

We had 4 or 5 guys at my small marina install the new cable and antenna. Not a single one worked and they were all installed per the instruction pamphlet. 1 charter captain even had Torpedo install the clinher after working with them for a month. It still wouldn't work correctly.

Glad your's worked.

Make sure you don't crimp the cable when attaching to the downrigger spool. This causes 95% of all failures.

I tied mine to the spool. Through the hole in the spool and then a knot to keep it from pulling through.

Make sure you don't crimp the cable when attaching to the downrigger spool. This causes 95% of all failures.

Hmmmm...  I have no problem with my cable.  Oh wait, thats because I run a Fish Hawk X4.  :o  :P

Yeah, I upgraded to X4D this year and haven't been happier!

I hear there a lot of used Depth Raiders for sale now.