Mid-day trolling

Looking to get some opinions regarding mid-day trolling for salmon and trout in lake Ontario. Would like to trailer boat to the lake and make a nice day of fishing once water temps set back up and we have a calm day. I know the best action is usually had early am and during evening hours, but is it generally worthwhile staying out mid-day or better off heading in for lunch and a break? Like the thoughts of an all day trip, but don't want to burn gas with poor odds of catching fish if that's the norm. Thanks! Keith

I have had great luck with kings all day, just the morning and evening bite and just mid day. The fish will have to tell you what they want. In some locations you have the option to fish for browns or steelhead when the king bite slows. I have noticed when you are around the full moon the bite is better mid day.

Good luck and tight lines

Being a weekend warrior I'm always reluctant to head in for lunch or dinner. Bring some good food, refreshments, XM radio and send it! Some days it may not be fast and furious mid day and some days it may be down right lousy but we have caught some of our biggest fish with the sun overhead.

Looking to get some opinions regarding mid-day trolling for salmon and trout in lake Ontario. Would like to trailer boat to the lake and make a nice day of fishing once water temps set back up and we have a calm day. I know the best action is usually had early am and during evening hours, but is it generally worthwhile staying out mid-day or better off heading in for lunch and a break? Like the thoughts of an all day trip, but don't want to burn gas with poor odds of catching fish if that's the norm. Thanks! Keith

That would all depend on you.

If you don't mind fishing and working a little bit for fish then stay out and see if you can get them going.

Sometimes you can sometimes you can't. It will make you a better fishermen either way.

If you just want the easy fish, fish the bite and head in during the slow time.

For me, I usually burn more fuel running in and back out than if I just stay out and run on the kicker.

Good luck

Glen

Agree with many of the answers above. 10:30 until 1:30 or 2:00 this year has been almost as good as the morning bite....better if you are looking for big fish. On a typical day in the am when lake conditions are good, everything is feeding. Many of the smaller fish will get their fill and not need to feed for awhile. The bigger mature fish will be ready to feed again by late morning, and go on the feed. The big difference is not as many smaller fish are feeding by late morning, so there is less competition and that frees up your lures until you pull them buy a big guy looking for lunch.

Slow down and fish deeper. Kings will drop down in ice water to get out of the high sun.

+1 Don't be afraid to go real deep even if the temps are barely above 40. Keep a couple of lines up high with spoons to play with the steelhead to pass time.

I have been on the big old girl and fished from sunrise to noon with only a fish or two boated , and then it was like someone told the fish to jump in the boat for a few hrs .Just the luck of the draw and the day !most times mornings and evenings cant be beat though :yes::yes::(

I've fished out of Port Credit for over 35 years & I've always noticed a good bite starts at 11am. This year we've always got our biggest fish on that bite. The steelhead seem to be in a bit tighter this year too.