Looking for some advice and maybe going out with someone.

I am from the south end of seneca lake and that is really all I have ever fished... I have a 24' Penn Yan contender. I like to think that I have some decent gear on there but you always find things that would be nice to have lol. I always find myself looking around and wanting to buy more gear. It does get expensive but I feel like before I invest alot more money into this I need to start having more production. I am really wanting to learn from someone who has fished ontario for a while and would be willing to take me out. I kinda feel bad for asking but its frustrating when you put in the time and don't really have the results. I know you don't learn this over night but I feel like I need to start somewhere. My cousin and I made a trip to Sodus friday and saturday. The conditions on friday morning were pretty hairy.. I would say 4 to six footers and we fished till about noon. Went out friday evening and did the same on saturday. I guess I'm really trying to figure out what the hell we were doing wrong. Just got a new Lowrance hds 7 fishfinder/ gps, seemed to be working pretty good. The only thing that I dont have set up yet is my sub troll which would have been nice to have on there.

We fished with riggers stacked with cheaters on them, ran spoons, spin doctors, flies, and dipsies. I guess our biggest problem seemed like the under current pushing tword the north. Thast all I can figure. Had the dipsies back 300' with 30lb mono. we would set up everything looked good a few minutes later the port side dipsy would be on the starboard side. I may have a a little to do with turning a little sharp but we were really trying to keep the boat as straight as possible. The same thing was happening with the down rigger cables. I'm thinking it had alot to do with the currents down 80 to 100, am I right? And if so what can I do to fix this problem, should I be running copper off dipsies, or was I maybe going in the wrong direction with the under currents? If there was no action we would change colors, spoons, and everything we knew. Fished in shallow and went out to 450'. Any advice, pointers or someone who would like to take me out would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ps. ya coulda picked the worst 2 days to fish LO outa sodus..Not so much the worst 2 days of the year BUT the worst 2 days "AFTER A N.E. BLOW"...

Or a major blow in general...

So don,t feel like you did everything wrong,,, :( Well I ant seen ya fish yet so maybe ya did! :lol:

SWhatcathinking hank?

Agreeing with Ray. Currents were nasty out there. Nothing worse than looking back at you dipsy and its crossing your rigger. Best thing my partner and i try to do is go into the current. The blow back can be an issue which is where a probe comes in handy. Just because your line counter on your rigger says 100' doesnt mean anything. To reach that area you may need to let out an extra 20' or so. Theres a fish hawk 840 for sale in the classifieds for $250. Anyways we got another NE wind 10 to 20 today (Tuesday) Rest of the week isnt looking to good either. Dies by thursday its game on! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
The same thing was happening with the down rigger cables. I'm thinking it had alot to do with the currents down 80 to 100, am I right? And if so what can I do to fix this problem, should I be running copper off dipsies, or was I maybe going in the wrong direction with the under currents?

If you are crossing lines you need to run less lines. Start with 1 and add from there understanding that 1 properly run line will catch more fish than 6 improperly run lines!!

Keep the boat straight.

Never run a MONO dipsy further than 200', it simply will not work -- as in go any significant amount deeper. Replace your mono with 50# power pro or 30# wire.

Unless there is an upwelling going on you do not have to worry much about under currents, you do have to account for surface currents -- you do this by running 1 line (copper, thumper, ect) straight off the back of the boat -- keep changing direction (SLOWLY) untill you find a direction where that line (and all your lines) track straight behind the boat. Maintain that course, get your GPS sog at 2.5 - 3mph and watch your rods.

Remember, Less Is More when it comes to running lines for kings in rough water.

The same thing was happening with the down rigger cables. I'm thinking it had alot to do with the currents down 80 to 100, am I right? And if so what can I do to fix this problem, should I be running copper off dipsies, or was I maybe going in the wrong direction with the under currents?

If you are crossing lines you need to run less lines. Start with 1 and add from there understanding that 1 properly run line will catch more fish than 6 improperly run lines!!

Keep the boat straight.

Never run a MONO dipsy further than 200', it simply will not work -- as in go any significant amount deeper. Replace your mono with 50# power pro or 30# wire.

Unless there is an upwelling going on you do not have to worry much about under currents, you do have to account for surface currents -- you do this by running 1 line (copper, thumper, ect) straight off the back of the boat -- keep changing direction (SLOWLY) untill you find a direction where that line (and all your lines) track straight behind the boat. Maintain that course, get your GPS sog at 2.5 - 3mph and watch your rods.

Remember, Less Is More when it comes to running lines for kings in rough water.

if you take this advise and change your mono on the dipsy divers to wire i garantee you will catch fish on lake ontario.

I fish Seneca and Keuka quite a bit and have also had a lot of problems keeping my dipsy divers away from the boat and riggers, so i have kind of given up on using them lately. After reading this post i'm thinking maybe i need to switch from mono to wire as well. Would this help keep the dipsy's out away from the boat? Also, if i switch to wire (30#?) would you recommend getting the twili tip wire line guides as well?

I just switched over to wires on my dipsy rods. So far I love it and all you have to do is give it a little flick and it releases pretty easily. No I just have to figure out what is the best way to run 2 dipsies off each side. Anyone have any suggestions or advice?