Cannon Downrigger Probe Problems

I have a new (this summer) cannon downrigger probe. It worked perfectly for awhile. Now, it gives intermittent read outs. Below 30 or 40 feet, I get no read out at all. I am miffed as to why. I haven't changed the batteries yet as they claim that the probe will run 200 hrs. on a set of batteries. That will be my next thing to try. The operation book says that the unit should be grounded to the water. I am assuming that means the hull? If it is grounded back to the negative terminal on the battery/electrical system, would that effect the operation?

I will be calling Cannon today to get their take on it. I was just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and what your fix was. I am headed out to the big O next week and would like to have the problem resolved before then. Any help you can give, would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I had the old Cannon where the wet towel trick worked. last yr I bought the new Cannon and it had the same issue so wet towel it was. billyV has the same probe with zero issues. Cannon is saying it is likely a bad ground. I rewired to the display and tested it once on a local lake (only use the probe once a yr when I go to ontario) and it worked fine down to 95'. So hopefully I have the problem solved. Also check your boat ground. With the boat in the water check from the neg. terminal on the battery to a known ground on the boat (part of the boat you know is making contact with the water, a grounding plate on a glass boat is a hgood example) there should be less than .7volts reading. Any higher you have a bad ground and need to make a better ground to the water.

It explains how to check your boats ground in the manual.

From the manual:

5. Verify boat ground. The system will work best if the ground (battery–) connected to the

monitor display is also in contact with the water. If this ground connection is not in

place you may not see data or the data may be inconsistent.

Display power on – updates are intermittent:

1. Verify boat ground. The system will work the best if the ground (battery–) connected

to the monitor display is also in contact with the water. If this ground connection is not

in place you may not see data or the data may be inconsistent.

No data below 100 feet:

1. Verify boat ground. The system will work best if the ground (battery–) connected to the

monitor display is also in contact with the water. If this ground connection is not in

place you may not see data or the data may be inconsistent.

How do I know if my boat is grounded properly – test method?

1. When on the water, use a volt meter and measure from battery ground (battery–) to

any metal that is electrically connected to the water. This reading should be less than

0.7V. Using an ohm meter to check continuity may give you inaccurate results.

Good luck,

Spike

Edit: I assume you only used it shallow early in the season and it worked. If you have used it deep and it worked then it is likely the batteries or maybe your ground is failing. I have had a few boats where over time the battery connection degrade thru the season. try cleaning them up as well. I use Super Lube on them now to prevent that from happening.

I had a heck of time with mine, sent probe back 2 different times, the 1st time it was a bad probe but second time not, that antenna wire going from unit to downrigger cannot be near any other power cords, after tearing my boat apart I found that I mistakenly ran it by a light power cord, moved it and it works great, try that

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I had the same issue...intermittent readings and sometimes nothing at all. Made a call to cannon, and they asked me to send the probe in. I was told it was probably a bad seal. A new probe was on my front steps in less than a week....with NO issues since. It just took a few calls to get anyone to help me out...other than that, no complaints now!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Hi Guys.

Just an update for those of you who care. My problem with my downrigger probe is solved. When istalled, the dealer grounded the monitor directly to the negative side of the battery, which required the ground to go through the engine and into the water. Not a very good ground! I had them ground the unit directly to the hull. Problem solved! I used the unit this weekend down to 110 feet with now problems at all.

Headed next week to Ontario. From the looks of the reports, it seems the fishing is pretty good. Now, I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good weather and low wave action.

Thanks for your replies and help!

Ran my hot and ground back directly to the second battery, and has been trouble-free since the day I installed it, several years ago.

When I see that the screen displays less than 8.5V, I toss a new battery in, the next time it goes down.

It's due for that before we fish again this weekend.

Don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better.

Hi guys.

Just an update from my last post. My unit started giving intermittent readings again and showed a temp of 95 degrees all of the time. It also would not work below 30 feet. My dealer called Cannon for a new probe which was the next step and Cannon advised that they would not be making or selling them any longer. Cannon was helpful, however they just had to many problems with their units, I guess. They wanted the unit returned and refunded the cost. It was a hurry up deal, but my dealer found one of the few available Fish Hawks in the country and had it overnigted last week and installed on Wed. We headed to Lake O on Thursday morning. Rough sailing out of Oswego all weekend. However, we did catch some nice Kings, but had to hunt hard for them. The Fish Hawk worked perfectly. I had one on the boat I traded in and should of stayed with it! Good luck finding a Fish Hawk. From what I know, they are back ordered and the wait is fairly long.

Good luck fishing!

• 2 weeks later...

I can add an update to my probe as well. I also went to Ontario for my annual trip. A half hr into fishing my probe quit. Prior to that I was still having the intermittent reading issue. I had tested my rewiring job and ground to the hull on a local lake at home for a few minutes and thought it would be squared away now. Was I wrong. first day of my trip and it is dead. Left the water and found an X4 at Woody's. Installed it makeshift to get me thru the trip. Now I am trying to deal with Cannon. I asked them why I should be stuck using a unit they wont even sell anymore due to issue with them? They offered to replace the probe if it proves to be bad. I'll send it in and then at least I can sell a working (for how long???) unit. Not sure I feel great about selling a unit to another consumer considering the manufacturer wont sell them anymore. Bad PR for Cannon as far as I am concerned. This is twice I have been burned by them. The first probe design I bought and they discontinued it the next yr. Now 1 yr after buying the new improved design they stop making them as well. Not getting a warm and fuzzy on Cannon products right now. I was going to upgrade my mag 10's next yr but if I do I may have to take a hard look at the other manufactures after this ordeal. If anyone has a Cannon unit and it works fine I'd be glad to sell you mine as a back up once the replacement probe comes in. I obviously have no use for it now having bought the X4. The Cannon unit has literally been used for 8 days only!

Spike