July 23rd - After handing the rod off to clients all weekend Mel wanted to get in on some of this great King Salmon action Lake Ontario is putting out. We had breakfast at 4C’s Cafe before pulling out of the harbor. The double charter the day before didn’t allow us time to grab dinner, so we were both starving! We left the dock around 7am, and shot right out to the 29.5N line knowing what we left out there was what we wanted to fish.

It was Mel and I so all we were allowed were six rods. Down went the three Cannon DT10s, and out went two wires. Once that was all set I figured since we were trying to knock my good friend Vince P off the mountain for the Summer LOC I’d better send down a meat rig in the ice water where the pigs hang out. So, I went and grabbed a 500 Copper, and out went the meat.

We picked fish all morning on riggers and wires. The copper stayed quiet, and soaked for 80% of the day. Dreamweaver Sea Sick Waddlers and Gators mupped were going all morning. As were the same flasher fly combos we have been running on our low divers all weekend long. As the morning pushed on the bite went to a steady pick. We worked the 31-32N line and circled an area that had bait and fish pretty consistently in it.

At one point throughout the morning I got the bright idea to grab a Lyman plug and send it down on the middle rigger. I sent it back 30’, which was 15-20’ further back than the two out downs, and sent it down 15’ above them. It wasn’t in the water 5 minutes when I see the rod start to throb. In less than 30 minutes it would take two fish, and then it was done for that lure.

About noon I was setting a rod on the out down when I see the 500 just lay right over and start singing! I yelled to Mel to grab the rod, and she was into a fight. This fish took multiple runs throughout the fight, and like always we thought this could be the one! However, just like every other time we think we have Orca on a 20lb king find the bottom of our net. Oh well, cross out that trip to Cobo this Winter.

We pulled lines at 2pm and headed in for some lunch after Mel told me she just couldn’t fight another Salmon.

IMG_20120723_082805.jpg

IMG_20120723_091330.jpg

IMG_20120723_114158.jpg

IMG959113.jpg

Spring loc derby ? dam bro i think you need some sleep. :lol: nice report as alway. see ya at the shootout. john

You got it all wrong Motoman. The season is going by so fast it still feels like spring.

Nice report and good fishing Rick.

The meat down the middle always has the anticipated HUGE salmon "air" about it...:lol:...had the same a while back. It's down there...its in the ice...its being silently pulled way behind the other more flashy stuff....waiting...waiting....you know in the back of yer mind....anytime, as you solemnly stare at it from time time...THEN...WHAM..its like ....now this has to be the best fish of the year. And it is what it is...a big two year old..oh well. It was exciting..

Great report Rick. Nice to fish on yer own sometimes :yes:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Spring loc derby ? dam bro i think you need some sleep. :lol: nice report as alway. see ya at the shootout. john

You got it all wrong Motoman. The season is going by so fast it still feels like spring.

Nice report and good fishing Rick.

Aint that the truth!

Rick,

Does DW make a Seasick Waddler spoon, or were you referring to the DW SSW Spinny? If so, do u have a pic?

Thanks,

- Chris

They do now! Captains Cove and Fat Nancy's carries them, or you can have your local shop order them. They have a sku in the DW line-up. I had them made with silver and gold cups. Captains cove was supposed to have both, but I think DW mis-understood them and sent glow cups instead of gold. Those might be a good morning spoon!

IMG_20120619_175231_1.jpg

Ohhhhhh mannnnnn - one of my favorite spoons and killer on the stealth copper or leadcore. I lost my last one this weekend on our leadcore breakoff.

Time to get some - as always Rick thanks for your great posts and quick feedback,

- Chris

Ohhhhhh mannnnnn - one of my favorite spoons and killer on the stealth copper or leadcore. I lost my last one this weekend on our leadcore breakoff.

Time to get some - as always Rick thanks for your great posts and quick feedback,

- Chris

No problem!

Had the same thing happen to us 3 times this past weekend wile fishing the Pro-Am!! Put the meat down in that ice water and had it go off in the first 10 mins!!! I said "hang on its a BIG one"!! Ended up only being 18 and change. Then had two more knock off's on it. Man your hart pounds when that happens! Great report and cant wait for the shootout!

Matt

-Jakey Baby-