My first wally trip!!!!!!!!!!

ok walleye,Capt John i tried to reach ya on 7 and 16 all day (Pegasus) no response :( was looking for a little support out there .hit the lake late thursday nite got 1 wally on watermelon harnes and 1 steele on homemade tamiron ...got a late start friday 8:00 ish well i gots a lot to learn bout theme wallys , due to the slow trolling speeds it took me a while to figure out how to catch steelies at 1.6 mph once i did i got a steady pick of steelies for the day couple nice dancers but most were small 4or 5 lbrs.the reason i started to target steels was the wally bite was far and few till i figured purple and black was 1 key,i even stuck a inline spinner ahead of a pu andblk spoon with a worm off the treble and it worked,i think if i had more walleye spinners i could of done pretty good not to mention a secret weapon i brought along by sheer luck got 5 walleyes friday biggest just about 10lbs almost 33" long most were 3 to 6lbrs couple more people (rods) could of helped my odds but the sun and perfect buffy weather made up for the slow day,only had 2 whale watch boats come by :$ probly should of stayed for another morning but i knew if i started i would of been home late for a evining oblagation at home,overall with the great weather it was a good trip,i might start doing some homework and try to figure these things out(walleye)and definatly bring some big lipped stickbaits for slow water steelhead trolling blk and silver,purple and silver,and grey and silver, i think any natural color would of got steelies..my biggest problem with the walleyes was my releases even set on the lightest settings would not trip so i would go through a hot spot and hook up but not know it so i had no waypoint reference to get back on them,,, next trip ill be ready ..Capt John thanks for the tip on location they were around more between 95ft to 80 ft 5 to 6 miles from port

for me. oh yea 6 for 10 steelies one 10lbr did a 20ft tailwalk across the surface before spitting the bait..Ray K . as i say....................

Where were ya? Off shore and others as well make releases made for walleye. I have them when i fish my riggers for eyes. They work well. Whats this whole whale watch thing? I have seen the sign on the thruway, could you expalin that to me? Keep up the good work I think ya have wally fever.

Landshark

Ray...

Glad you got on some. Screen was loaded early 'till it got hot.

Must have been by you once or twice as there were only a couple

of boats around. Had the radio on 07...must have missed you calling,

but it was just me and 1 other and I was in the back a lot.

On the rigs, one of the tricks is to "pop" the rigger when you come

through a good bunch of marks and let the spoon float up for a few

seconds. Many times just the pop-off is enough to trigger them.

I'm running blacks releases, and you can set them pretty light.

We did have 1 fish that hit the diver that pretty much decided to swim

with it...very hard to detect.

Got 4 of us going tomorrow for the last ride of the year, so we'll

be able to get 8 rods in....

John

l.s. just off dunkirk,on erie whale watch oh boy there goes my image again,kinda a joke when its sunny and hot i try to elimanate any tan lines(buffy)(buff)and my wife claimes any boat that comes by must think its a whale watch trip,me being the whale,nuf said ok i'll post some photos from the trip........grey sylvan with big american flag.

just had my first walleye dinner,time to do my homework they ant to exciting to catch but make up for it in flavor and the challenge to learn a new style of fishing might not be all that bad,Capt John the bait shop i went to said the wally season is basically over ,,,few more questions 1 what should i expect during peak season (numbers and size,,2 where do the wally go this time of year ,,3 why do they come to east coast during peak season,4 when is it over ,over or does it just stay like this till the next season aaaannndddd 5 whats your favorite way to cook I still have 5 lbs of fillets left thank you ,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmRay K. :D P.S.any good books to sharpen the learing curve?

Ray:

Typically the best walleye is from late June to mid-Sept., but that

depends on the weather and water temps. Most of the guys quit by

now, mostly due to the usual lack of good weather...this year being

an exception. L/y we fished 3 times from 9/1 until I pulled the boat.

We had 2 populations of 'eyes...1 is resident, and based upon the 2003 and

2005 spawns, is a pretty good year class. The other is the transient OH

fish that come east to escape the ultra warm in Oh. Those fish usually

show up from west to east starting in late June or early July.

I like the walleye deep fried. Not good for the heart, but good to eat.

Trim off any of the "silver" or "red" on the skin side, and soak in ice

salt water for 30 mins or so. Makes 'em extra tasty.

Try this....take the thick back piece of the fillet, cut into chunks about the

size of a good scallop. Take a 1/2 piece of bacon (trim off some of the fat

if it is really fatty), wrap the walleye in that and toothpick it. Sprinkle with

old bay or your favorite spice, cook on LOW HEAT on a grill until the bacon

is done. Err on the side of not so crispy so you don't over cook the walleye. Key is low heat....

John

Ray.. Congrats on your maiden voyage out there! It's not a whole lot different than salmon fishing on Ontario.. aside from a slower pace and a little less fight. I fish mostly out of Barcelona, which is about 15 miles west of Dunkirk. I really like the launch better.. plus we found a great place to stay just a short drive away from it. I would have been fishing there this weekend if I didn't have a prior comittment. My buddy charters out of there and had a super season. John.. you probably know Fred (Castaway). Anyway.. John has given you some great info. If you get bored and want more.. feel free to ask or shoot me a PM. Maybe we'll hook up next summer out there.. heck.. you're just down the road a bit! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

Whale watch is a festival they have every year at seneca lake. Thats why you saw it near exit 42. I have never attended, but friends who have say its just another festival with crafts and such.

Thanks googly, I always wondered.

Musky you told me you erased that vidio see if i take you fishing again you L.O.U.S.E.R.S.,land shark good vidieo above(other post not bobs) i was just looking at those spinners at dicks last night,i also have a bunch in some old tackle in my basement with a wooden body . oh boy i think i found a hole in lake Erie in which to throw my money.

Musky you told me you erased that vidio see if i take you fishing again you L.O.U.S.E.R.S.,land shark good vidieo above(other post not bobs) i was just looking at those spinners at dicks last night,i also have a bunch in some old tackle in my basement with a wooden body . oh boy i think i found a hole in lake Erie in which to throw my money.

Ray, I just tie mine own up as I go. It's actually really easy. I buy bulk blades off ebay. I get beads and floats there as well. I get my double hook snells from quick change ( http://www.quickchg.com/default.asp?navid=36 ) It takes about 1 minute to slap a spinner together and this way you get whatever color combinations you want. Here is a guy that I use alot http://stores.ebay.com/OLE-COYOTES-DEN Plus, It's fun to name them as you make them. This summer my better ones were named , I'm Back, Coming out of the closet, Trouble in Parad EYES, Overkill, and Call a Cab. Just to name a few . If you want any info on spinners give me a shout.

Ya Know i take you old farts out fishing and this is how ya treat me,I feel the love,,,,,im on a crash diet next year ill be buffy and hunky or is that chunky? sooo your saving the good pics for cabin fever i'll have to check out my memory stix and see whats there..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................L.S. that spinner you call (out of the closet ) has me a little concerned..