Lake Chautauqua, no sign of fish :X

Heading back to chautauqua this weekend for the 4th weekend in a row and going fishing again as well as just enjoying being out on the lake and not in the office.

But I need some help. I will admit it, in the 40 or so hours I have been fishing in Chautauqua the last couple weekends I have yet to even get a knock on my bait...

I must be doing something wrong. I looked up a map of the depths and have been fishing the depressions and around them etc. Fished the bell tower, long point, prendergast point and still nothing at all. Tried Various lures, dare devil red and white spoons, husky jerk rapala, even gave up and went for small fish with worms and still not a one. We tried a bit of trolling around the center of the lake using a large spoon and a large 6" husky jerk at a depth of around 15-20f or so but after a couple hours we quit. I am used to small lake bass fishing and have done fairly well with small mouth on erie but I cant even manage a bite on chautauqua.

We used a trolling setup similar to this

drop_weight_3way.jpg

Any tips? Any ideas at all? I figure cast fishing is out of the question with the water temp right? We want to be deep deep for muskie/pike? Thanks alot!

This past weekend the muskies inc tournament guys caught close to 30 muskies in 11 to 16 ft of water. Most of the fish were under 35" and biggest was 42".Dr Dave caught 4 smaller muskies there as well,short lining Wiley 5 1/2" jtd crankbaits 30 ft from the boat at 4.0 mph.He was working from 11ft weed edge to 16 ft and back.

The muskies up north are still suspended down 25 ft over mostly 35 ft of water from Prendergast Point to just behind the 50 ft hole by the bell tower.Your offering you showed pictured will work there, just go to 25 ft of water and find out the exact amount of line to have out to touch bottom at 4 mph.If not using a linecounter reel count the number of level wind paw passes accross the reel as you reel in.I'll be on Chautauqua Lake this weekend give me a call and I can give you an update 716-432-0198

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

This past weekend the muskies inc tournament guys caught close to 30 muskies in 11 to 16 ft of water. Most of the fish were under 35" and biggest was 42".Dr Dave caught 4 smaller muskies there as well,short lining Wiley 5 1/2" jtd crankbaits 30 ft from the boat at 4.0 mph.He was working from 11ft weed edge to 16 ft and back.

The muskies up north are still suspended down 25 ft over mostly 35 ft of water from Prendergast Point to just behind the 50 ft hole by the bell tower.Your offering you showed pictured will work there, just go to 25 ft of water and find out the exact amount of line to have out to touch bottom at 4 mph.If not using a linecounter reel count the number of level wind paw passes accross the reel as you reel in.I'll be on Chautauqua Lake this weekend give me a call and I can give you an update 716-432-0198

thanks! I appreciate it!

We usually put in at mayville, and will try the area you suggested for sure. Im now worried about size I just want my wife and dad to have some fun pulling some fish into the boat instead of just getting a sunburn :)

So trolling that area about how far off shore would you suggest or does that not matter as long as the depth is right?

My wife's father passed away when she was young but he was really into fishing and had a ton of gear, I will take some pictures to see if he had anything you would suggest lure wise.

Any spots that you can suggest for casting if the crew gets sick of trolling in the north?

The plan is to head out at 4am saturday and fish all day, weekend cant come fast enough. Thanks again

Stay in 35 ft of water with your lures down 25 ft.Casting look at a map,just past Chautauqua Estates going toward Hatfield Bay at the end of the trench just before the weeds get near the surface in 12 ft of water toss firetiger Suicks at pocket holes.

I talked with a guy from PA yesterday when he was out on the lake- did 4 fish in the morning up to 39" in the south end on a Foiled Perch Baker Bait if that helps. If your just looking to get a fish- go south and troll @ 4.5mph. North End has been tough but it can be done. Stop into the Happy Hooker and ask for a Baker Bait and go south IMO. Also for the tourney that was just there- Wiley did good on the small deep diver Wileys in Walleye and $9 Bass but your not gonna find those for sale at any shop on that lake, my baits also caught a few. Best luck and go catch us something, low light conditions were the best. Also try just south of the bridge, there are always fish at that spot.

kTaof.jpg

80J6Q.jpg

dayxL.jpg

GOmqx.jpg

Anything in here look good to cast or troll? My deceased father in laws epic stash! Seems he has 2 or 3 of everything.

Thanks for the locations to try guys Im really excited to try again! Thanks a million will update with some fish and smiling faces this weekend!

I mean worst case scenario If we fail again I end up booking a Mostly Muskies Charters tour for the day with my wife and old man to learn how to do it right!

That large black and white/silver Rapala, and those pikie minnows in the bottom tray would work, but I would say you need to take trip to the shop. Easiest bait to catch a musky on for beginners is a large bucktail spinner for casting. You will need invest in some heavier equipment if you get into trolling large plugs.

That large black and white/silver Rapala, and those pikie minnows in the bottom tray would work, but I would say you need to take trip to the shop. Easiest bait to catch a musky on for beginners is a large bucktail spinner for casting. You will need invest in some heavier equipment if you get into trolling large plugs.

thanks! what size am I looking for?

MUSKY SIZED.....B I G....!! U can pick up small fish (in between everything else; mostly bass) with what U have, but don't take it from me. Not a dedicated muskie chaser.... But I DO enjoy all types of fishing, for all types of fish :inlove: ! And seriously, most of my time at Chautauqua has been in the spring. Never fished there in the hot season. And it is pretty good in the fall, too... Not much help, eh? Have seen HUGE MUSKIES (twice) swim directly under the boat there. With what looked like busted off lure scars around the mouth , they both looked like big, old, palooka boxers that were not afraid of anything or anyone in or on the lake... like they owned it and did not care what U might think or try! Love to try one of them on my line!! But, just from seeing them (4 years apart, both in May), I'd say U would need Big equipment just to get them interested....

The bottom tackle box tray looks like Radkie Pikie Minnows, they will work in shallow water near weed edge or down in the south basin's shallower water.I would go to Happy Hooker Bait & Tackle on NY 394 in Lakewood and purchase Baker Bait,Legend Perchbait or Wiley Crankbait in natural colors,perch, walleye or 9$ bass.You will need at least 50 lb power braid and a 3 ft steel or fluorocarbon 80 lb test leader as well.Trolling speed from 3.8 to 4.5 mph.

I'll be headed for the north basin once the last thunder bangers roll by about noon.The rain can only help get the water surface back down to safe fish handling temperature. Oh just seen sunshine through the tree tops at camp, might get earlier start.10:18 am and still raining hard,maybe after 1:00 pm now for the start.

Yesterday I did not get on the water until 1:30 pm,caught a 38 to 40"er close to 2:00 pm.Water release no measurement,swam away strong. Quit at 2:15 to save the spot for today's charter.Waiting on thick fog this morning to lift enough to see at least 100 ft ahead of you.