Chautauqua Tourney Minimum Size

The guys from PA Muskies Inc have raised a good point,all their tournaments are based on the Muskies Inc Contest Rules with a 30" minimum sizelimit.So starting next year the Chautauqua Tourneys will be officially run by NY Muskies Inc Chapter 69,it would deprive the membership of receiving M.I. Contest Awards for numbers of muskies caught if we continue with biggest fish over 40".So we need to vote on this at tomarrows meeting

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Please excuse the ranting of an old man who has been Musky fishing for almost 60 years, but I followed with sadness, the postings on another web site where posters, day after day ripped each other, and other Tournaments and I am sure you get the picture. For the last hour or so I have been listening to the comments of 5 of my friends who phoned after they read about the Chautauqua Bait fish Fund Tournament possibly adopting a 30" size, points event. I will make this brief, we hunt Musky: big, Toothy, mean, nasty and temperamental Musky because they are hard to figure out and even harder to catch. If we needed to catch dinks, or numbers of fish, we would jerk Perch or Crappie.

Now since it takes 15 to 20 years to grow big Muskies and they are fragile fish throughout their developing years when being handled, the thought of targeting young fish especially during summer temp stress, for the sake of a few bucks or an ego trophy or whatever, especially by an organization promoting FISHERIES, seems somewhat contradictory don't you think ?

We fished Larry's Tournament every year because it helped the Prendergast Musky hatchery and the development of the fish, and if you "MADE THE LIST" with your 42" plus fish, you knew you did something special, if not well, there was always next Tournament . But to turn it into an event that puts these same fish we just feed in peril makes absolutely no sense to us, and we would no longer with good conscience continue to support the event.

All that being said, I would hope that our new, New York Chapter of Muskies Inc. will be a leader and not a follower, and abide by the "intent" of NYSDEC size limits set on each lake. After all, is not that part of the purpose of MI ? Sorry I cannot make the meeting, but I will be cutting weeds in Dunkirk Harbor till 6 pm. Gotta beat the storm..........

Chuck Battaglia lakes Manager, Cassadaga Lakes Association

Musky Itch Too Guide Service

Chuck,You know I agree with you on this,that is why I changed it to biggest fish a couple years back.Last year a large number of fishermen were asking for a most fish caught award, I gave them that but with a 40" minimum. I would like to see the tourney rules stay the same,however the tourneys will be run under NY Muskies Inc Chapter 69 starting next year,so it is up to the membership to decide on 30" or 40" minimum size for the tourney.We will vote on it tonight.

The decision at last nights meeting is to stay with the tourney rules that are in place for Oct 6th Chautauqua Tourney.Get input from those in the Tourney on October 6th as to what minimum size they would like,then have a vote at the NY Muskies Inc Chapter 69 meeting using that imput as consideration.We felt the small number present at last nights NY M.I. 69 meeting would not have been a fair vote without others input.