30lb FF twisting up, Help me please!

I am a rookie to Lake Ontario for sure. We went out this weekend for our first trip for Kings using two down riggers for the 30lb flea flicker line. The line was fine down to the ball. After the ball was another story. It got twisted up looking almost like a braided line. The set up I had on the end of both of them was a 1/0 snap swivel on the end of the line attached to a stinger flasher. The flashers were both new out of the package. Then on the end of the flashers had an atomik fly. I would think that the swivels on the flasher plus the one on the end of the line would have prevented this twisting of the line after the ball but didn't. What am I missing here?Is there something I need to put in line? Any help would be great so next time it doesn't do that. We did end up catching a brown on that set up and it didn't break but I know that it 100% should do that.

Thanks

Len

Try running a leader off the ff with a swivel. I run the 30 and just uni-to-uni knot a 10 ft leader. But I don't run dodgers or spinnys off those rods...just spoons. I did have the same problem reeling in a mupp rig with two spoons that twisted around each other. I run the dodgers or spinnys on different rods with 30 lbs big game.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

nobody likes the 30lb ff... I never really have the problems others do and I dont know why

I have run the 30lb for a couple season now and have the line twist figured out. My spoon rods, I run a spro swivel (same ones guys are using for coppers) in between the FF and the Floro leader and a Spro swivel between the Floro and the lure. My flasher rods, I run a bigger Spro swivel and make sure the swivel on the Spin Doctor or other brand of flasher is in good working order. Very little twisting if any.

nobody likes the 30lb ff... I never really have the problems others do and I dont know why

I have run the 30lb for a couple season now and have the line twist figured out. My spoon rods, I run a spro swivel (same ones guys are using for coppers) in between the FF and the Floro leader and a Spro swivel between the Floro and the lure. My flasher rods, I run a bigger Spro swivel and make sure the swivel on the Spin Doctor or other brand of flasher is in good working order. Very little twisting if any.

Gambler got it pegged. :yes:

Glen

I Agree with Gambler. I have not had an issue with the stuff and i run pretty much the same set up as him. Swivel to floro, snap swivel to snap swivel alread on flasher. Swivel to floro, sna swivel to spoon. And yes i run Floro to my flashers too. My catch rate is higher with 25 lb gama from 30 main line. More weak points but more fish.

As gambler says the swivels are great,.... also as metioned and as I do is line tie 20lb "p" line or other good line about a 30 ft leader, then ya ant got no ff in the release either..Then just in case you break off :lol: yer not tossin 4or 5 more bucks to the Lake gods.

The swivels and flashers were new. I was thinking about putting in a flouro liter in but wasn't sure if adding in a few more swivels was the correct thing to do. I thought I read somewhere on here that you want to keep the number of them or drag type things to a minimum. What is the favorite line to use during the hot flea season?

Yeah, Brian has it right. Throw on 5-7 ft of 20 lb test fluorocarbon leader with one on the super-small Spro swivels. You won't even notice the swivel, it's so small, and it winds through the guides easily. Voila, no twist. The only issue I've had is that the downrigger clip can rough up the line immediately above the swivel, since that's where you usually attach it, so you may have to cut a few feet off and retie occasionally. FF line seems to become abraded on its surface more easily than conventional lines?? Maybe to be expected with the larger diameter.

You did not say how long a lead to ball you had. We had the same problem when we first started. Cut lead to the ball down to 10 or less feet. Problem was much better but still had a few problems switched to plain mono and never had another twist off unless the swival was fouled. Wes