wire line dipseys

Sorry if this question has already been answered but I am very new to this whole thing . When people talk about wire line dipseys what kind of line are they talking about ? Also what kind of gear does it take to fish wire line? We have fished dipseys with very limited success using30 lb big game and regular downrigger rods and reels. Thank you guys up front for all of the great information we have learned a bunch this spring and summer from all of you.

Wally

Wally,

A wire line dipsy refers to a setup with a reel large enough to hold 1000 ft. of wire line, some ad backing...like power pro to keep the wire from slipping on the spool. Tons of different brands of wire, I run Atomik...http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/lee.htm 1000' camo 30lb. You have to get a reel large enough to fit 1000 ft. The reels I use are Daiwa 47lc's. Rod size is usually dictated by the size of your boat or how the back of your boat is set up. Usually you run the dipsy's off to the side as you stated above, so you want a rod thats not going to be running into your other stuff and you want it to be beefy enough to handle the pull of a dipsy. Also you want to add a twilli tip so the wire doesn't cut thru the top eye of the rod. http://www.fishusa.com/Twili-Tip-Wire-Line-Guide_p.html After you get the rod set up attach a big swivel to the end of the wire using the wire line not...http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/templ ... ctor=video add a 8 to 10 ft. lead on the out end of the dipsy and what ever you want to use for a lure...spind doctor fly...spoon...etc. Good luck I'm not an expert..just passing on what I have also learned from this site..

Tom

Daiwa 47 size reels fit 1000' of 30 lb wire perfectly with no need for backing, just put a wrap of tape (electrical or duct) over the knot after you tie the wire to the spool arbor, otherwise it will slip on the spool. That's true for all reels unless they have a little post on the spool to tie the line to. I've been running the bright Malin 30 lb wire for many years.

Tim

Do a search there are lots of posts about this. What rods, what reels snubber or no snubber , which wire. The advice above will get you started. More than half of all our salmon come off the wire dipsies. Won't leave home with out them :lol::clap: Your first wire king will make a beleiver out of you.

• 7 months later...

If you use wire line you will need to use mono backing before putting it on or you may have problems later on with the reel spool or line guide mechanism according to the reel repair folks (Tunas Reel Troubles etc.). It is recommended that about 30 meters of mono precede your wire.

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

I have fished for just about everything in fresh water, but this will only be my third year for salmon and I soooo can't wait for king season. We have done better every year with the advice form the guy's here. Now I'm at the point where I try to give back, when I can, great advice and great people here. Going to the top of the page and using the search this topic box is a excellent way to answer most of the common questions.

Wire divers are a great presentation and a blast to fish with.  I run Okuma Convector 45d on a Shimano TDR rod with twilli tip,  1000' of Mason wire with power pro backing.  I had these set up at a local bait shop for under $180 ea.  Sure you can spend a lot more getting a top of the line reel and big buck roller rods but a similar set up to what I described will get you in the game and give you years of service without breaking the bank.   Some days these are my hottest rods on the boat and nothing better than fighting a big king on wire,  you can feel em blink their eyes.

I run 1000' feet of Malin on 47lc's with no backing, just the tape as mentioned about with no problem. I run snubbers so then I can have the drags alittle tighter, but some people don't, which ever you prefer. But just like everyone has stated they are fun to have a 20-30 salmon just taking off, the feel you get of the power these fish really have is amazing! Have fun and hang on :)

Make sure you have the drag set so it just holds the dipsy at depth while trolling. When the fish hits it better be able to peel drag or you are going to break things IN A HURRY!  Good Luck, nothing like hearing your first big king rip on a wire!

• 2 months later...

Basically each size dipsey has it's own set of strengths and weaknesses. I use the smaller size off my outriggers for shallow water presentations with light flutter spoons mainly (with mono), the mediums for down to70 ft or so (with wire) and the Deep divers for 100 ft plus (with wire).

What is the best size dipsey diver to have? I see they have them that will dive to 25' and some that will dive to 100'!

The  LJ  #1 is what most use.  The smaller #0  is used for shallower fish,  the walleye guys like them.   There are walker deeper divers and larger rings and other options.

LJ#1 w\std ring = Deeper Diver 107mm

LJ#1 w\ mag ring = Deeper diver 124mm

The mag diver's will have a steeper dive angle and will get a little deeper

When running 2 divers on a side a lot of guys will run a mag set on 1 on the inside and a standard set on 3 on the outside to keep separation between them.

• 4 weeks later...

so you can do two things..

1. No backing for wire but tape the knot on the spool so that it doesnt slip.

2. Have some mono backing on the spool first, then run the wire

I have fished 1000ft 30lb wire/dipsy/SD/fly or spoon this year and had some king success.  Thanks to all that have shared.  My question is why a 1000 ft of wire?  We let out only 100 to 300 ft typically.  Could you back a few hundred yards of 30 lb big game then 500 ft of wire?  I am sure there is a down side that my inexperience has not allowed me to think of.

There are other threads talking about rod holders.  I can now say I have experience to offer in the area of the 'must have' strong rod holders to fish wire/dipsy setups, as I lost an entire set up off the side in a cheap rod holder.  A 12" bert's rail and two adjustable rod holders are the same price as a reel/rod/dipsy/sd/fly/1000' of wire.  Just saying from experience now!

i HEAR YEAH! mY iSLANDER CAME WITH THE Tite Lock dipsey holders..not happening. I just purchased and recieved the Berts adjustable holders and the 12" tracks for them..BTW, best place  I have found to get them is Northwoods Wholesale Outlet

Edited by Adk1

• 1 year later...