Hot Chrome off Oswego 10/6/07 Updated

Since the weather was so nice today I decided to hit the water instead of the marsh. I was in contact with Empty Hook (Jeff) and a friend of mine from another board, Zeke. Zeke has not been out on the big lake trolling in a few years, he has never had a fish on the wire. To finish out our crew we had the fish catcher Dominick and myself. We launched out of Wrights at 630 and were fishing by 700. I headed a little east out of the chute, set down in 200 and continued out. We marked fish the whole way out, but they were way down, in the 180 to the bottom range. Once we hit the 300 mark the fish started to rise and we were in the game in 350. First rigger went off was down 125 with a NBK mag back 55. Dominick was up and he put the whoopin on a sweet 17.5 lb king, talk about chrome fish. Jeff has a smoked salmon recipe he wants to try so we boxed that fish. Set up the nbk again and 15 minutes later it fire again, Dominick was up again and this time is was a nice 5-6 lb steelie. We took a couple jacks, all the fish were down 100' or better. The Savant Jake froggy setup was back in business for today also with fish. I recieved a call from Nemisis, he told me to put down a customized Savant Frog that he sent me. Zeke was able to take his first 2 fish on the wire which were on the Chrome echip/mirage out 330, both fish were healthy 4 lb jacks. Jeff and I got into the mix with another steelie and a jack to add to the tally. The custom Savant frog was down 120 on the rigger, we marked a nice big mark at 100, I was in the back, watched the rigger fire and set the hook into a nice fish. We got Dominick strapped into his fighting belt and he proceeded to fight a high jumping Steelie that turned out be around 13 lbs. He did an awesome job with the rod and we landed that fish, after a couple of pics the bruiser was set free. We picked up at 1230, ended with 8 for 11. All the fish came east of the chute in 320-380 feet. Heard one of the better charters out there and was only 1 for 3 when we left. I can say that there is a ton of fish in the bottom 40 feet of the water column, not sure what they are, but there is a lot of fish. This could be my last trip to the big lake for the season, what a way to end it, great crew and fish that were willing to play. Good Luck to anyone that gets out, the fish are there, just watch the weather. Here are a few pics from today, I will add more when I get them sent to me.

Rich

Here is Dominick's first king, fish weighed over 16 lbs 8 hours after being caught so we are figuring it weighed around 17-18 lbs.

dominicksalmon1006070731.jpg

Here is his first steelie of the day.

domstealhead1006070745.jpg

Here is Zeke with his first and second wire fish, I think he will be back for more.

100_1461.jpg

100_1463.jpg

Dominick in his battle mode, putting the heat on that king.

Seaduction_07_001JPGdominick.jpg

Here is a clearer pic of the king, he had just woke beofre this chromer hit.

Seaduction07004dom.jpg

His first Steelie ever, 15 minutes after the king.

Seaduction07005.jpg

A small jack.

Seaduction07006.jpg

Here is a pic of the his biggest Steelie to date. The pic does not do this fish justice. You could see the pink down the side, and it was bigger than it looks. Someone will hopefully enjoy him when it hits the river.

Seaduction07009.jpg

This was the last fish of the trip, the look on his face when he relized there was fish on was awesome.

Seaduction07011.jpg

Hope you enjoy as much as we did, it was a great day on the water.

Rich

Rich,

Great report. And YES -- What a way to end the season. Now wishing we hadn't put the boat up so early but my son is already in the hunt mode and if we don't get it done early - well sometimes it is very late - post deer season so as they say you got to stike while the iron is hot!!

Rich.....your killing me dude !!

LOL...you know I'm happy for you and I'm all about getting the kids out. Great report...thanks for sharing ( I think ;) ) Wish I was out there with ya!

Next year....

Stay in touch,

Rod

Rod,

I was looking for you out there, was not sure if you would bring the boat back up for the weekend or not. It was a blast, his smile was endless after that first fish.

Clarke,

I hear ya on the hunt mode, I just had to get out more time. It is getting time for me to hit the woods and swamps, but I will hit the lake once more if mother nature allows. See ya next year.

Rich

Sweeeeeeet Pics and a great report. Got to love the way the kids get soooo excited when they catch the big one....

I remember the days my papa took me fishing. I grew up in Alex-bay/Watertown area...the good old days of Pike, Pearch, Bullhead, Bass, ect, ect, ect...

Now the only time I have is for Salmon & Trout.