Hybrid Striper Trolling

DoubleG

I do a lot of striper fishing with bait but I want to try trolling, mainly at night. I have a ton of salmon and trout trolling gear and I assume I can use most of my stick baits. So here's the questions, 1 - What speed do you troll? 2 - Do they hit spoons, day/night? 3 - How far behind the boat should I run the lures? Any other tips would be appreciated!

GG

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I don't think many people in NY fish for Hybrids (Aka wipers) since they have not stocked them in NY for a long time. PA stocks them as do a lot of states to the south. NY did not see a good return on what they felt was a very expensive venture. I catch them out of the Chemung and Tioga rivers, however, I do not troll for them. Some people fish the head waters (Hammond/Tioga res) where they are stocked but I do not know how they troll for them. I do not drag lines very often and I rarely pay attention when guys are listing speed and depth. If you google striper fishing tips you will find vast articles related to this type of fishing for resevoirs dedicated to this fish. These fish are a blast to catch on lighter tackle and IMO is the closest thing to a steelhead in fight. I think they could be used to control forage fish populations since they do not reproduce, you only stock them until you see the balance in the fishery return. I feel a prime candidate would be Conesus lake. The alewives are everywhere.

I see you are from Jersey. I like fishing for hybrids but if I lived closer to the Deleware and the Hudson I would be much happier fishing for the real deal.

I don't think many people in NY fish for Hybrids (Aka wipers) since they have not stocked them in NY for a long time. PA stocks them as do a lot of states to the south. NY did not see a good return on what they felt was a very expensive venture. I catch them out of the Chemung and Tioga rivers, however, I do not troll for them. Some people fish the head waters (Hammond/Tioga res) where they are stocked but I do not know how they troll for them. I do not drag lines very often and I rarely pay attention when guys are listing speed and depth. If you google striper fishing tips you will find vast articles related to this type of fishing for resevoirs dedicated to this fish. These fish are a blast to catch on lighter tackle and IMO is the closest thing to a steelhead in fight. I think they could be used to control forage fish populations since they do not reproduce, you only stock them until you see the balance in the fishery return. I feel a prime candidate would be Conesus lake. The alewives are everywhere.

I see you are from Jersey. I like fishing for hybrids but if I lived closer to the Deleware and the Hudson I would be much happier fishing for the real deal.

Thanks BS. Yes, I fish them in NJ, we have a 2 or 3 lakes that hold some really nice hybrids. The problem is that everyone that fishes those lakes are so tight lipped that no one will help you. I don't need spots just basic info. I'm sure I will figure it out! Thanks!

Try deep running crank baits around structure. Drop offs from dams, submerged creek channels. Best time is at dusk into night. I do not know speeds but I would try this with a gizzard shad pattern and make it noisy. This is one fish that I think the lunar cycle has an effect on so I would look at fishing forecast. Go in with low expectations. Every time I think I have them figured out, I don't.

I also think smaller bait in spring and bigger bait in fall. Other than that I got nothing. Good luck.