RUFF RIDER Sodus Live Report 7/28-29

Ok then it was time for the lampreys! I brought the milk to a boil and laid out my lamprey fillets...

DSC01986.jpg

DSC01988.jpg

I cooked them for about 15 mins and removed.

When they came out they had the texture of crab meat... so I took a close smell of them, not much there a little sweet smelling. I chopped them up into small pieces for the pie and figured it was time to try lamprey. Theresa left the room and I took a deep breath and popped one in... chew chew chew... HOLY CRAP LAMPREY IS GOOD!!!!! It tasted almost exactly like snow crab legs! I couldn't believe it! In my astonishment, I tried to give a piece to Theresa who turned green and said no. Why is it that we judge our foods by looks rather than taste?

I remade the pie mixture with the lamprey and popped the pies into the oven. The one lamprey didnt make a lot of pies, but I'll have a few at the Salmon Slam this Saturday. I used a mini cupcake tray so more people could try it.

DSC02008.jpg

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hey, I never ate perch eggs until someone wrote they were edible and actually made a decent meal. I looked past what you see and think and tried it....and it was good. I can believe lamprey is good, if done right.....I've been around many parts of this planet for work and eaten many things that I would have thought was unedible.....and well.....most taste pretty good!!!!! Not all.....but alot! Glad to hear it was tasty...but not sure I am gonna keep lamprey on my boat and fillet it! ICK ;)

Hey, I never ate perch eggs until someone wrote they were edible and actually made a decent meal. I looked past what you see and think and tried it....and it was good. I can believe lamprey is good, if done right.....I've been around many parts of this planet for work and eaten many things that I would have thought was unedible.....and well.....most taste pretty good!!!!! Not all.....but alot! Glad to hear it was tasty...but not sure I am gonna keep lamprey on my boat and fillet it! ICK ;)

Perch eggs :yes: Reminds me of my first trip to Missouri where they told me their favorite breakfast item was squirrel brains with scrambled eggs. I never believed them until I saw a guy on Duck Dynasty eat the same thing!

Nick

crab legs .....hmmm ..........No ,nish,nay,nota...well maybe a tinsy weinsey nibble... i love frog legs and rattlesnake is great...30 years ago I took a swig off the wrong beer bottle at a late night party once it was someones ashtray,,,,eel is a sought after food in some cultures ,but so is Dog...

I can see the post now ....was trollin at .5mph had my best eel spread out when we got a tripple,landed all3 and the back of the boat looked like a snake pile,untangled the mess and went on to get 30 more ....

crab legs .....hmmm ..........No ,nish,nay,nota...well maybe a tinsy weinsey nibble... i love frog legs and rattlesnake is great...30 years ago I took a swig off the wrong beer bottle at a late night party once it was someones ashtray,,,,eel is a sought after food in some cultures ,but so is Dog...

I can see the post now ....was trollin at .5mph had my best eel spread out when we got a tripple,landed all3 and the back of the boat looked like a snake pile,untangled the mess and went on to get 30 more ....

Someone remind me to keep Tavion (our dog) away from Ray this weekend :)

I remember catching eels on the Hudson and our italian relatives giving us a hard time for not keeping them! I just wish they were easier to clean.... maybe if I use my teeth to hold it....

Someone remind me to keep Tavion (our dog) away from Ray this weekend :)

I remember catching eels on the Hudson and our italian relatives giving us a hard time for not keeping them! I just wish they were easier to clean.... maybe if I use my teeth to hold it....

I'm Italian and I totally know what you mean. Any food, is edible food.....even eel and I think Nonno tried to make Carp once.....Lesson Learned! :lol:

As for Dog....well lets just say on my first trip to China, I ate what they affectionately call "Black Chicken". Nice that they told me 3 months later what "Black Chicken" was :o . Sadly.....tastes like chicken. Not that I want any more or will be looking at Tavion that way! One and Done!!!!!! :$ pheww

I'm Italian and I totally know what you mean. Any food, is edible food.....even eel and I think Nonno tried to make Carp once.....Lesson Learned! :lol:

As for Dog....well lets just say on my first trip to China, I ate what they affectionately call "Black Chicken". Nice that they told me 3 months later what "Black Chicken" was :o . Sadly.....tastes like chicken. Not that I want any more or will be looking at Tavion that way! One and Done!!!!!! :$ pheww

I bet that meal had a lot of "Ruffage". Sorry couldn't resist :lol:

As always your detailed reports carry from the water to the kitchen, keep coming.

We tried your recipe tonight and it was fantastic!!!!!

You and Musky ought to team up together!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

But did you use the key ingredient? ;)

If your talkin lamphrey's, no! Im saving them for Thanksgiving dinner with the family :lol:

ah you must be having the in-laws over! Just remember to let them eat it first and say how good it is, then whip out a lamprey and show them your secret ingredient!! :lol:

Nick