Niagara River report

It's Thanksgiving in Canada , so we made our first trip to the niagara gorge . The norm for this trip is several large Kings surfacing , with a fair amount of drag screaming action . ;) This day proved to be the acception to the rule . Between swatting mosquito's and only having a few Kings surface , all we had to show for our efforts were a 8" smallmouth , and 3 line screamers that we never got to see . Roe proved futile , with spin and glo's and flo orange kwikfish doing the only damage . Water is gin clear and the Kings are definetly in . With poorized glasses you could watch them swim along the drop offs . Hopefully if anybody else has tried the niagara they've had better success. The fishermen we spoke to today had said that fishing was extremely slow . We'll try er again next weekend . Hopefully the weather will turn and the fish will turn on as well . :D

Guest ReelDiel

juno, we were out last week and scored 6 bites and landed 3 the biggest was 25lbs. what a difference a week makes, we were up also and seen only one fish netted. my friend has be fishing from shore since labor day in the wee hours of the morning and normally getting around 5 or so on avg. the night before last he got blanked. on a side note we made or way to the green can and the bigger smallies are starting to move in we caught a bunch in the 3.5-5.5lb class..man there fun!

also heres a intresting bit of info my bro took some 1x'ers out trolling out of olcott sat. they went 8/18 all of the fish landed were matures in 100fow. i guess they dropped a few on the wires.

We've been fishin from shore lately , but I have to beleive that the niagara bar has got to be good . With my boat up at our cabin in land of lakes I'll have to wait for my cousin to have some spare time . Any idea what your friend was using ????? :?: The early bite is definetly better , before the river starts to rise .May have to try Queenston docks this weekend for some eye's.......

friday i was on lake erie am surface temp was 66deg by 3 in the afternoon it was 70.3 deg and that was at my transem temp 18" down thats a huge warmup in 7or8 hrs even for a spawner,I think?plus that gentel s/sw wind should of stacked the warm water to the river for a couple days ...justa a thery as ive never fished erie at all before nor onterio past august....

I have to question water temp this time of year ...for salmon anyways .if you think about it salmon perfer about 52° degree water , yet come Oct. warm summer and I doubt the river is much colder than mid 60's . yet you have kings porposing. maybe it's just hours of daylight , I wish I knew :? on the other hand when the weather turns and there's a bite in the air , the action seems to be non stop . As for eye's , the Bay of Qunite has excellent fishin in late Nov. till first ice up . Guess I'LL just have to keep fishing till I can figure it out . :D

Hi Landshark ;

I only do Quinte in the spring for the opener . :( However a very good friend of mine does it religously every fall . He's been trying forever to get me out there ,but, time isn't in my favour that time of year .I'll be talking to him soon and let you know Lures locations , and what ever else . He's a good man and a damn good fisherman . From the pictures he's shown me it'll drop your jaw. I've got to find some time

I would appreciate any info you can give me or he can give you. Im going to take my boat up there as many times as I can this year. It's only about 3 hours for me so I am going tyo give it a try

Guest ReelDiel

normally he is using glow green cleos, if they aren't working switch to orange 2 weeks ago him and a friend landed a 9lb eye out of the hole on a cleo. yes they are catching them before the water starts to rise he is usally out of there by 6:30/7

First off thanks for the come back ReelDiel . muchly appreciated . I tried some spoons but not the glow . Landshark , if your going to fish the long reach area , then , if I know my bud , and I believe I do , You can lauch at firemans park out of Deseronto , head out to Shermans point . day trolling there is any kind of long body baits rafalskis, rapala's , bombers , etc. Perch patterns /shad and flo orange have all proven to be good in the spring . After I talk to my bud I'll let you know more . Picton bay is suppose to be another good spot . Hope this helps