Hot Lure:

Trolling Speed:

Down Speed:

Boat Depth:

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

Very interesting and completely different from our fisherie we are truely blessed! Got in the boat for our first trip on thursday morning. A 17ft whaler with a 50 yamaha. 2 riggers (Scotties are the only rigger that exists for saltwater fishing) 2 rods and both rods had 11in green squares and squids. We ran about 8 miles to the Strait of Georges first rigger went in 265ft down second rigger went in 240ft down. Round balls no fins :o:o:o And we trolled that was the program. Lots of Chat with our guide Russ about water. He was very interested in hearing about Junk lines and Thermoclines and even spinnies! They have had zero success with flies in the Lodge we stayed at. But with only 2 rods fishing they really cant play with anything on a different line. One think I got a chuckle about was all the guides were interested in what a "free slider" was. :talk: We heard when we got there the fishing was slow. Well that was the case, I did manage to catch one King about 23 pounds in our first 4 hour trip. We got back to the dock and booked a second trip for the afternoon.

Thursday afternoon- We left the dock at 4 with a different guide "Travis". We headed North to Browns Bay. Browns bay was a ledge that went from 140 to 250, we fished down the edge of the ledge. Travis was great and Marlene and I had a great time with him. Travis's program was a green square and a squid on one side and a green square with an anchovy on the other side. And he showed me how to tweak a whole bait BC style Can wait to give this a shot on Lake O! We did manage a few bites on this trip. Marlene boated a 15lber and a few "DOGFISH" sand sharks which they hate! The one thing that was interesting on this trip was there were Pink salmon everywhere that evening and we didnt target those at all :(:( Its King Salmon or nothing... Bald Eagles, Seals and Black tailed deer were everywhere. The mountains were unbelievable :clap::clap:

Friday morning- As it turned out we should have stayed in bed. Got down to the dock and got our assigned guide for the day. We were going to fish with Steve. Steve has been fishing the area for 35 years so I was very interested with what he would have to offer. As it turned out Steve maybe a little burned out, we never had a bite and "Steve" didnt try real hard to get one. The riggers moved twice once when he put the paddles in and once when he pulled them out. :(:(

Other then Friday Marlene and I had an Awesome time!! We will go back at some point maybe to the west coast of the island and try for the DOUBLE TYEES!! The 60lbers we heard about! Also a big Thank you to the guys at SCOTTY who were super nice during the tour of the factory on wednesday pretty cool seeing how it all goes together. And for all there help in making our trip a Great Time! I will upload some pics when I get a minute!

One little side note the only derbys they have are one day, one big fish shootouts. 1,000 dollars to run one rod and 2,000 dollars entries if you want to run 2 rods! Grand prize is 100,000!!! WOW!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Brian

Pics_479.jpg

This is what the boats looked like

Pics_437.jpg

My first Pacific King 23lbs

Pics_473.jpg

Marlene's first Pacific Salmon

Pics_438.jpg

Good shot of our views from the Boat

Pics_393.jpg

HEAVEN!!! Scotty releases before packing1

Pics_419.jpg

Painters Lodge fishing resort

Pics_510.jpg

A Pair of 76 pound Kings taken at the lodge. The largest fish taken there.

It was a Great Experience!

Ray, It was COLD!!! Water temp was 63 on the surface. It was a cold ride in the boat mainly cause it was an open boat but we hit great weather. The guides were in Mustang suits in the morning to stay warm. Our guide was in shorts and a tshirt on the afternoon trip we were in sweatshirts and rain pants. With the HOT weather we had at home it was a big shock to us.

As far as the fight of the fish they pull the other rod and stop the boat so in that respect it is a little different. The gear is a bit different as well with the mooching reels which by the way are a BLAST!! I will be adding these to the arsenal on the big lake. I would say over all the fight is about the same. The spots on the tail and the body looked more vivid to me then the lake. We thought the freshwater may wash the color out a little.

One other interesting note they tag and clip every fish from there hatchery system. And have for the last 8 years with no intention on stopping like our DEC has.... :@ They have Kings return on occasion that are 6 years old :o:o

Nice report Bri!

Them guys would be overwhelmed if they came here and did what we do. After all the stories I've heard of big Kings up that way I don't know if I want to try it out. We have a world class fishery right here! The Scotty tour sounds cool too.

Thanks Rick,

I would like to go back and try the west coast of the island just for the monsters. They were saying its big water but in big boats....25ft Gradys! LOL!!!!!!! Maybe someday Its hard to leave our Lake but it was worth it and I would do it again in a heartbeat. They couldnt get over my description of our programs they looked a me like I had 2 heads.. :P

Nice report Brian...thanks for sharing!! I look forward to hearing more about your trip :yes:

I had a charter captain from out there on my boat once....I remember we caught 11 salmon that day and he explained how they pull lines and stop for one out west. I got him on a salmon on the 600 copper and I'm like, I ain't even slowing down for you bro so you best suck it up and keep reeling :lol: Swear to god...soon as we got in he went down in the cuddy and took a nap :rofl: