How is the fishing lately in Port Darlington?

Hi,

we will be fishing out of Port Darlington from Saturday 4th to Tuesday 8th. We would like to get some feedback on the recent action in that area.

I will be posting our results upon my return home on the 9th. The boat will be at the marina but we could'nt find a room at the motel, so we will be staying at Holiday Inn Express. I will be happy to meet and discuss with other anglers on the dock or at the marina's restaurant.

Thank you.

Thank you for the info.

Did you catch it early in the morning? It seems early in the season to start darkening. It must be because of the hot weather we have had all summer ...

And do you know how far offshore is the mid day fishing lately?

Regards,

FishBob (Robert)

It was about 8AM and I agree it's early for the change. I've heard it's out to 250-300 feet, down 50 to 70 but that not my experience, I only have a small boat. I don't know how many km that is. Buffer(Phil)

We are back from Port Darlington. We were there from Saturday pm until yesterday (Monday) am. We went out 4 times for a total of 23 hours of fishing.

Obviously Sunday was a scratch as the weather was so bad. We ended up shopping for fishing gear at Gagnon Sport, Sail and Bass Pro Shop.

It was realtively easy to capture our quotas. Most of the fish were 18 pounds and over, the biggest one at 25 pounds. We lost a handful of bigger ones, with some leaving with our gear ... Only a few small ones.

Most of our catches were in 100 to 120 feet of water between 50 to 80 feet down. We had our biggest fish on the dispsies at 55 feet down (190 feet behinf the boat with a 3 setting). Spin doctors and flies were the most productive setup, but we also caught some on RAC spoons, as well as monster on a J-Plug that we lost while netting.

This was another great trip. It's unfortunate that we have to wait another year to go back.

3 options I can think of in Bowmanville: (I tried them all).

There is a motel right beside the marina at Port Darlington (Bobby C's), which is great for the proximity but with very minimal comfort (I can't see when it was last renovated).

There is a Howard Johnson just 2 minutes from the marina, rooms are in better shape than the marina motel.

There is an upscale Holiday Inn Express 5 minutes from the marina. It was built 2 years ago. This is where we stayed.

So it all depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.

Hope this helps.