Sea Time log for Capt. Lic.

How precise do the amount of days have to be. I know they date back as far as me at 15 years old but the big thing is the past 3 years with the 90 days. I don't know the exact dates but in the past 3 years I have way more than 90 days. Also I have been on my dad, grandfather, father-in-law, and and Grandfather-in-law boats before owning my own. How would I get them to sign documented hours? I have ran boats from the age of 12 needing my boater's course.

How would a person go showing the past 90 days in 3 years and how detailed should my log be (weather, temp, wave height,...)?

I have photos with dates so I know I can get those days but the other ones when we were skunked or got pushed off because of weather are what I can't remember.

CG has a log form that you fill in. They basically want to know the month day yr of your time on the water. The trip doesn't count as a day if it was a two hr fishing trip. I believe it needed to be a time of 8 hrs or more on the water for that day to count. They use your old registrations as proof that you had a boat to log the time on. If it was someone elses boat you need to fill in a log for each boat and have it signed off by the owner of that vessel. They don't ask for pictures of trips with date stamps or anything that elaborate. When you get tested they will quiz you verbally about your experience on the water and I'm pretty sure the guy doing the quizing is very good at reading people. In other words they will know if you are lieing about it. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. When you start to fill out the form you'll see that 90 days in the last three yrs is actually a pretty good amount of time and when you eliminate the short trips (under a full day ) it is even harder for the guy that has another job besides fishing. (Mates/deckhands on boats don't usually have a problem building up the time because that is there job).

Good luck, it is a lot of work and a lot of expense for not a lot of money made from it.

Spike

CG has a log form that you fill in. They basically want to know the month day yr of your time on the water. The trip doesn't count as a day if it was a two hr fishing trip. I believe it needed to be a time of 8 hrs or more on the water for that day to count. They use your old registrations as proof that you had a boat to log the time on. If it was someone elses boat you need to fill in a log for each boat and have it signed off by the owner of that vessel. They don't ask for pictures of trips with date ii or anything that elaborate. When you get tested they will quiz you verbally about your experience on the water and I'm pretty sure the guy doing the quizing is very good at reading people. In other words they will know if you are lieing about it. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. When you start to fill out the form you'll see that 90 days in the last three yrs is actually a pretty good amount of time and when you eliminate the short trips (under a full day ) it is even harder for the guy that has another job besides fishing. (Mates/deckhands on boats don't usually have a problem building up the time because that is there job).

Good luck, it is a lot of work and a lot of expense for not a lot of money made from it.

Spike

Good way to put it spike. My friends and family think I roll in money at night, but honestly, we all know how expensive this really is...

The days I believe are four hours though..

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I filled mine.out in 10 min and made it all up

Dont waste your time stressing about it, go dishing instead. Im sure many guys did just the same. Figure how.many hrs u need and just write them.in

A day is considered 4hrs underway for this purpose. Also there is no verbal test. I recently received my uscg masters 50 ton with commercial towing endorsement. Check out seatech if you are in the western ny area

I didn't mean to imply there was an official verbal test. I'm sure each center has there own "unofficial" checks. The first time I was there everyone was brought up by one officer and questioned about their experience on the water. It's just a heads up that that could happen. At least it did to me and everyone else that day for the exam.

I like Landsharks answer. Probably 90% right.

Spike

A day is considered 4hrs underway for this purpose. Also there is no verbal test. I recently received my uscg masters 50 ton with commercial towing endorsement. Check out seatech if you are in the western ny area

I didn't mean to imply there was an official verbal test. I'm sure each center has there own "unofficial" checks. The first time I was there everyone was brought up by one officer and questioned about their experience on the water. It's just a heads up that that could happen. At least it did to me and everyone else that day for the exam.

I like Landsharks answer. Probably 90% right.

Spike

I have 90 hours in the past 2 years so I think I'm good. Do they need to be over 3 years or is it ok i have it 2 years? If I go back another year it will just add more time. What will I need for the signature of time on another boat? Just something a long the lines of "I name certify name has completed a total of blank hours on my boat."

Thanks,

Chas

The form you use is the Small Vessel Sea Service From. You fill out a form for each boat you are using for your sea service. If it's not your boat then besides your signature, you also need the signature of the person attesting to the experience and the boat owner. You also need to calculate the vessel gross tons for each boat. Don't stress over it- just take your time and fill out the forms. Lots of paperwork to submit with your application-step by step it comes together.