help my boat died

charlie464

;( Name: charlie

Home Port:wiclow

hello all can any one tell me what is wrong with my 40 horse Merc. had it out on mon. it would only run on 2 cylinders .i check for spark the bottom two plugs will not fire.moved the coils around they are all good as the plugs are to .not sure what gives the current to the coil .this is a real bummer .i was just started catching bigs kings . dont have alot of cash to pay someone to fix it please help me get back to the big kings thanks so much bummed charlie

This is really a problem you should take it in for. Electronic components are expensive and non returnable. Just guessing on what's going on can be very expensive after all labor on ignition repairs is relatively low it's the parts that cost. So consider that $80 or $90 or so you will pay in labor as insurance.

Here is an example why, I was working on a Johnson last week and through some testing I determined it had a bad stator. So I changed the stator and it ran great...... For about 10 minutes then the problem came back. It turned out a bad voltage regulator was burning up stators. So now I had a brand new $200 stator paperweight, the had to install another one with a new voltage regulator. Now I work at a dealership so we had the luxury of sending it back to the manufacturer but you won't have that luxury say your stator is burning up cdi.

Now if you get brave and want to try to do it yourself, here is the best resource there is for working on outboard ignition systems:

http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/docs/tr ... e?mode=a_p

You can do some of it with a standard multimeter but to measure DVA you need special equipment. (Stevens model 77 meter or the Stevens or cdi adapter)