Running Wire & Dipsys off outriggers?

I have a set of outriggers I am thinking about mounting on my boat to run wire dipsy rigs off from to increase my spread. Has anyone tried this? I was thinking I would have to use rubberbands so i dont kink the wire with the release. Any insight would be appreciated. thanks

First the riggers better be very ridged for dipsy pulling. You can run copper any length using a rubber band to hold the copper. You can run dipsy off the riggers, however I have not used wire for that but do use Fireline Fused original braid and it gets no fleas, just run it over the blacks release and drop in the water AFTER lining to the end of the rigger. If you put the dipsy in the water before clipping to release you will not get it to the end because of the drag in the water. Line it out on the rigger first, then drop it. I don't recommend dipsy on a wire like this. If you can use the Fireline like I mentioned there is no problem.

Also if you are fishing in rough conditions the outriggers are an advantage as they are not effected by waves. Turns are easier, and less in the water to contend with. Big boards are good too! I use the outriggers first because they are easy to get set up and run the coppers high and back behind the boat so they clear the other sets of dipsy. No guarantees not to tangle after a fish takes a longline though :lol:

Mark

skipper,

So I understand you just run the line through the black without twisting it. Then you run the release out to the end of the rigger and drop he dipsy in the water and feed out the desired line. The line just slips through the release. The braid works fine but wire would be damaged from sliding across the metal trigger on the relase. Also what size braid are you using? Thanks for your help

skipper,

So I understand you just run the line through the black without twisting it. Then you run the release out to the end of the rigger and drop he dipsy in the water and feed out the desired line. The line just slips through the release. The braid works fine but wire would be damaged from sliding across the metal trigger on the relase. Also what size braid are you using? Thanks for your help

Exactly!..30 lb fireline fused original...only braid I know that does not collect fleas :yes:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Most guys use the Aftco roller releases off the outrigger. This allows you to just place the dipsy in the water, then use the outrigger tether to move the line to the end of the outrigger while thumbing in free-spool the reel, to chase the dipsy out to the end and away from your other lines. Then once out to the end you reset the linecounter on the reel and deploy the dipsy to the desired distance back. Aftco roller releases can be bought online at westmarine.com.

afco.jpg

Thats what we run, the Aftco roller releases work great. I run size one dipsys with the ring on my outriggers and on the inside two mag dipseys, this lets me run six dipsys. You could probably run six dipsys without outriggers but the extra separation is nice. Sean

Yup...it's all good till ya get a triple hook up on steelhead!...add a copper down the shoot for extra luck. I even run 8 dipsy....if I wanted to. Two off the outboard downriggers as down outs.

At least I had a thought of it, but the fish kept me too busy before I could get that many in the water.

Once I did and then nothing happened except washed 11 lures for hours without a hit. :wondering:

Maybe less really is more....Hmmmmm. seems if I can't get all six that I normally run in the water then fishing is pretty good. If I have time to deploy more than that the fishing is slow...and more stuff down there just doesn't do much for the fish and only shows me I am a great organizer of lines and lures....Aw crap there goes everythng now! Steelhead jumping right to left over everything. That's why I bring my friend Lois...she likes untangling stuff for some reason :lol:

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png