SHARK!

Well I dont want to start a rumor or sound like an idiot but here it goes :lol: I have a friend who is a BASS fisherman :o ask me about a week ago if I heard of the report of a 6 to 8ft bull shark in the east end of Lake O that was seen and grabbed a king off someones line near the boat. I laughed and said, I guess it is possible one could venture up the St Lawrence but find it to be an urban legend. When asking the source he said he got it from a coworker and he heard if from bla bla... Has anyone else heard this "fish story" ? If the shark is there, I would love to pop that off the rigger :rofl:

The same thing happened here in the west end a few years ago. A guy was fighting a salmon when he felt something grab it. When he got the line back to the boat just the head was left.

I had something interesting happen to me earlier this summer. I had 2 downriggers down, 1 @ 75' and 1 @ 60' in 85 FOW. I marked what I thought was a huge school of bait and after that decided to pull lines and head in. I popped the first rod and hit the up switch on the rigger. It started coming up then bogged down and broke off. After saying a few choice words and getting my line cleared I did the same for the other rigger and the same thing happened, it started to come up then bogged down and broke. I was just east of Wilson harbor in 85 FOW. I should have dropped a waypoint but was too frustrated at the time. Losing 2 15# atomic torpedoes

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Buddy and I were fishing over 380 when our riggers popped and spoon just gone. Cut clean six inches ahead of where the swivel was. Rod acted like a fish was on for a sec too. Never seen a trout or salmon engulf a lure enough to do that. Was very wierd and eery.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Back in the day....... on Lake Erie Walleye fishing we had a rigger "bog down" during a retrieve....... we nursed it to the surface to find our cannonball tangled in a drifting mess of abandoned gill net........ full of stinky perch, white bass, sheepshead....... mmmmmm. But I'm thinking if we would have just cranked it up it could have broke us off.....

Seen a show on the history ch. on sharks that were in the St. lawrence river. They did in fact film sharks in there. I think they called them Greenland sharks, They looked like bullsharks to me. My wife used to live in Alaska and said they had sharks that would take salmon off your lines, They called them salmonsharks. After seeing that show on the St. Lawrence i don't think id swim in there anymore. I don't see why they would'nt be in Ontario.

Back in the 70's a 3 ft'r was found dead at I-Bay outlet. DEC figured some either brought it in as a pet or raised it in an aquarium then let it go as it got bigger.

Also every 15-20 yrs some pike fisherman catches a 2-3 ft alligator in I-Bay. Same thing, someone brings one up after a vacation down south then realizes they get big & dangerous.

Remember that freaking snake someone caught this last spring in the Genny. - Same stuff - people letting their pets go when they realize they're dangerous.

Problem with a Bull coming in via the St Lawrence is the North Atlantic which is very cold water. However one did swim up the Mississippi from the Gulf all the way to Illinois. (Like 12-1500 miles of warm freshwater)

All the more reason to dump the mono on the dipsies. :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

King Slammin', that was a reliable account. I was there when Eric paraded that around as soon as he got in. He was visibly spooked, and I believe it really happened. The approx 10lb Salmon was chopped clean in half behind the gill plates behind the boat. I saw the head. My mate Nick did some online research and found that bull sharks were found in various locations of the great lakes over the years. Ballast water?

As for you losing 2 cannon balls in 85' of water, that is the approx location where a 31' Baha rests between Wilson and Olcott. Reportedly it stands on it's transom end with bow up.

The St. Lawrence seaway would be impassable to a shark. Could a seal go over the barrier???? Maybe. I know Bull Sharks have been found almost to Chicago from the Mississippi River system but I don't think they could get past the barriers they have set up. My guess is a hoax or a plant from a pet shark owner.

1859 - Human leg reportedly found in the stomach of a captured Greenland shark.

Ville de Québec / Quebec City

Last Updated by Jeffrey Gallant on Jun 13, 2009

Under certain environmental conditions and for short periods of time, the range of the Greenland shark could theoretically extend as far west as the eastern tip of Orleans Island, only a few kilometres from Quebec City, where the St. Lawrence becomes brackish (transition from fresh water to sea water).

hmmm: http://www.sharksavers.org/en/education ... esh-water/

Jeremy Wade just called. He wants to do a River Monsters show on the St. Lawrence.

I asked the captain I fished with on the hudson if they ever see bull sharks and he said no. He was located at Saugherties. Kinda suprised me since it is tidal waters. I do not know what makes them go up which water ways but I have always thought that a shark that could withstand freshwater could endup in Lake Ontario. If any of you fellas catch one, I will gladly accept some steaks.