dipsey and wire ..??

I’ve seen some threads for discussion on rigging up a rod with wire and dipsey’s. Why Dipsey’s and Wire?? I’ve played with and been with guys who use dipsye’s, but not with wire. Don’t the dipsey’s get you out wide enough and deep enough on their own without the addition of the wire line?? The only reason I guess at is that it would get you deeper quicker with out having to run as much super line or mono??

mark

Wire will get you deeper than mono or super lines but the big advantage is the ability to fish with it when the fleas are around. You can cut the fleas off with a quick slide of the hand across the bottom of the wire. Super line forget it. Mono stetches more than the other two lines so it is hard to get dipseys to release when they are out real far. I fish with both Fire line and wire dipseys but soon as the fleas come the Fire line rods come off the boat.

I am by far no expert on this.But one of the main reasons I use wire when fishing deep over mono is the stretch of the line.With wire you have no stretch at all and the mono does.Plus what Richard has said there is a vibration that the wire puts out that attracts salmon to the dipsey.I love the feeling of every head shake with the wire but you really don't get that with mono.There is nothing like a monster run on a wire rig :lol::lol:

Thanks guys for info .. I appreciate it .. most of my time has been chasing Walleye's on Onedia Lkae .. this is step up and I am looking forward to next year .. but as usual .. more "stuff" .. wire, copper, down riggers, big rods & reels, flashers, spin doctors, flies ... and oh ya .. not to mention that thing you attache to the down rigger that measures temerature, speed and light .. i guess ill be doing my aprt to keep this economy going .. and try not to end up in the poor house and divorse court!! :roll: