Wire keeps jumping off spool. help please

I have two rods set up for wire dipsys. Both are Okuma convector reels with AFW 30lb wire on them on the poles I bought from ATOMIK with the twilly tips on them. The one works great. The other one messed up on us three times in a row. What it was doing was as we let it out, with our thumb on the spool to not just let it free spin, part of the wire down a bit below what was actually being letting out would jump in between the spool and the housing. I had to take apart the side of the reel to release it. In my opinion I think it might be just not spooled it on tight enough. I did them both the same way. Shocked that I don't have any problems with the other one. Is it just a spooling problem? Is there a secret to spooling up a wire rod? Do I want to spool it super tight? I am not sure how I will save this line to be able to respool it with that. Might just have to buy new line. Really don't want to shell out another $40 to buy new wire since this is new line that has only been used a few times.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Len

Like stated above, but a little different. I take mine out after spooling and put on a 12 oz or 16 oz ball. let the line out all the way just short of the not while trolling and reel back on. This will make the line nice and tight on the reel.

If you let your divers out against the drag rather than thumbing the reel, the wire will stay tighter. We caught one fish on Friday evening just letting more wire out going from 280 - 310. Fish hit right at 300.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

much better to back the drag off, stick it in the rod holder and let it creep out slowly on a light drag. it fishes it's way out to where you intend to set it that way. We always pick up quite a few fish every season that smoke the diver while it is creeping out.

Tim

yes chas to lettin out with clicker only,,,,,,only after i let it out 20 to 40 ft with thumb pressure just to clear rigger lines....but after thinkin about tims slow out where presentation is workin pretty good you would cover all water till ya get to desired depth!!!!! I have never had a fish grab a faster deploying (clicker) dypsy..but i know someday it will happen ......and probly with bad outcome if i ant fast enuf....................... Even tho I forget to "loosen drag" after retriving some times ,I TRY to remember to in case i get a hit and flip the drag lever ..we know what will happen with a overtightened drag :( ............30.00 gone :o

Last year we were fishing 300- 500ft blue water."Labor Day weekend" Temp was 115ft down. Was deploying diver with the drag set light/med llight. A little click here a little click there while I was setting up the other diver. When it took off at around 135ft out on 2 setting. It ended up bein one of 5 salmon over 30lb. that week. What it was doing 60ft above temp in blue water land? May be a fluck but ya never know! I've caught myself fishing below the target zone every since I swithched to Walker deeper divers

"127mm" I think. They run much deeper than Lurh J mags set at they same settings.

yes chas to lettin out with clicker only,,,,,,only after i let it out 20 to 40 ft with thumb pressure just to clear rigger lines....but after thinkin about tims slow out where presentation is workin pretty good you would cover all water till ya get to desired depth!!!!! I have never had a fish grab a faster deploying (clicker) dypsy..but i know someday it will happen ......and probly with bad outcome if i ant fast enuf....................... Even tho I forget to "loosen drag" after retriving some times ,I TRY to remember to in case i get a hit and flip the drag lever ..we know what will happen with a overtightened drag :( ............30.00 gone :o

I have had walleyes do this in the spring. Only thing with walleyes is that it is that the line going out speeds up just a little compared to if a king were to grab on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not familiar with the Okuma's but I had a similar problem with one of my Penn GT levelwinds and mono. On the star drag side of the Penn there's a spring loaded spool tensioner button and when I tightened it a bit the problem was resolved. Part number 26B on the schematic. Perhaps the Okuma has a similar tensioner?

http://www.scottsbt.com/catalog/store/i ... /310gt.pdf