New to meat, question

Hi, just wondering what the best set up for meat is. I bought an anchovie head and a large strip head, got some bait too. I assume both behind a flasher is good? Do you ever troll the large alone?

Thanks for any tips.

we run ours behind 12" Oki Kingfishers or Capt. John's 12" flashers with good results. Different color combos/leader lengths depending what the fish like that day.

thanks for the help. which heads are better? anchovie, strip or the bigger cut herring ones?

thanks

We use the bigger ones (holds up to blue label) since whole bait is cheaper. Plus we can make our own strips if we want and still works fine in the larger heads.

cool thanks. will give them a go tomorrow!

Twinkie rigs have several flys, or squids, behind the plate, and a bait head trailing.

Supposed to represent a school of minnows, with the injured guy in the back.

Seems that a lot of folks don't fool with cut bait much any more.

We don't leave home without it. :)

old style bait heads work really really well if you know how to tune them, i think they outfish pretuned heads and whole bait rollers. i buy the whole baits from jons tackle in mexico and dice em up into the pennant shape then run em in the old heads. gotta know how to tune the roller head and also how much line to leave slack when you attach the hook to the bait. get it right and your stylin. many people dont use meat because they do just fine withought the mess. i dont blame them. i would do the same but i dont have as much luck as everyone else withough my meat. ive heard that you can catch salmon on just beads trolled on a hook...it'd prolly never happen on my boat.

Ive been using meat since i started and i agree that i would never leave home without it. Although it usually brings numbers it has accounted for the two biggest fish i have seen salmon fishing neither of which made it to the net,arrrrggghhh.

Good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Well my first meat experince went OK. The fish are pretty picky this week! I caught only two on Wednesday on lures, bite slowed and I tried the reys anchovie thing. I had a hit but did'nt hook it. Yesterday the only thing I had hits on was the anchovie. I had three hits and none of them hooked. No matter where I place the hook. Do you guys change the hooks on those rigs? But at least I know it worked when lures, no matter what I tried, were get turned down. I'm optimistic about this!

I always change the hooks. Also when i set the rig i always hook one point in the flesh side as close to the bottom as i can, once hooked i tighten the line until the meat gets a little bow in it and the i send er down. Hope this helps good luck

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png