Auto pilot

I just installed the GHP10 in my Lund 18' Sport Angler. Best advise I can give you is to plan your installation out. If I had to do it over I would change the pump location. The below deck units are nicer than the steering wheel units but cost double. With the amount of trolling I do it was worth the extra $$. Only got to do a sea trial set up so haven't used it in action yet. If it performs like it did on the set up I will be very happy. Nice and quite. I was a little concerned on the warning that the GHP 10 was only designed for main motor use not a kicker. I have my kicker tied into the main engine steering and want an AP that would do both if I so desired. I don't see why trolling at 2mph on the main engine is any different than trolling the same speed on the kicker. I didn't use the tach for speed set up I am using a GPS so there shouldn't be an issue (I hope).

Your boat is even smaller than mine so fitting a below deck unit could be tricky without exposing the components to weather (which is not recommended on the install directions.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Spike

I'm guessing by power steering, that he has cable steering with power assist, not hydraulic steering.

Not a lot of options anymore for cable steered boats. It sounds like Raymarine now has all the bugs worked out of their new Sportpilot so that would be your only real option, unless you can find a Simrad AP12 or AP14 used somewhere. I have an AP14 on my cable steered boat and love it, but they haven't made them in several years.

Other than that, I believe you'd pretty much have to convert to Hydraulic Steering which would add a couple grand to the cost of the Autopilot.

Tim

I'm running a new Raymarine spx-5r Smartpilot and am very pleased with it so far. It replaced my old Sportpilot that died last year. I wasn't real happy that the 6 year old unit was discontinued and deemed unrepairable, but it's tough to be without one once you've had one. I had no problem holding a course into two footers on Erie. It does move the steering wheel out a few inches, but that's not an issue since I rarely sit behind it :) . Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

I had Kevin at Wilson Boatyard install a raymarine spx5 on my crestliner sabre and so far I love it. Out in 1 to 3 footers and no problems at all maintaining course. It is a little noisy, but being able to set lines and not worrying about tangles is priceless. Also steers my kicker without issues so far.

• 3 weeks later...
I just installed the GHP10 in my Lund 18' Sport Angler. Best advise I can give you is to plan your installation out. If I had to do it over I would change the pump location. The below deck units are nicer than the steering wheel units but cost double. With the amount of trolling I do it was worth the extra $$. Only got to do a sea trial set up so haven't used it in action yet. If it performs like it did on the set up I will be very happy. Nice and quite. I was a little concerned on the warning that the GHP 10 was only designed for main motor use not a kicker. I have my kicker tied into the main engine steering and want an AP that would do both if I so desired. I don't see why trolling at 2mph on the main engine is any different than trolling the same speed on the kicker. I didn't use the tach for speed set up I am using a GPS so there shouldn't be an issue (I hope).

Your boat is even smaller than mine so fitting a below deck unit could be tricky without exposing the components to weather (which is not recommended on the install directions.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Spike

Got to try the AP out over the past trip to Ontario in some rough conditions and it was awesome. So glad I got the GHP10. Well worth it and quite!

Spike