Gasoline and diesel fuel treatment

jimski2

Pugsleys told me to leave the tank at 1/4 full or so. The gas today is so crappy that no matter what you treat it with, in the spring you will have junk.

I tend to go with the guy's at Pugsleys....... minimal gas treated w/ stable, fill her up in the spring with fresh fuel and some dry gas (in case of any moisture) and let it rip!!

I thought you were suppose to fill it up before you put the boat away for the winter? oops :$ whats everybody else think? I have always just put water remover gas treatment in and made sure it was run through all the lines and motor before i put her up

I thought you were suppose to fill it up before you put the boat away for the winter? oops :$ whats everybody else think? I have always just put water remover gas treatment in and made sure it was run through all the lines and motor before i put her up

With good 'ol gasoline that would be the way to go, but with the new ethanol/alcohol "thinners" they add, the gasoline is not good for much more than two months. If you have a full tank in the fall then you dilute the "bad" stuff down every time you fill up in the spring. If you leave it on the empty side in the fall, you get a mostly fresh tank when you fill up in the spring.

I leave my boat indoor for storage, so moisture is not a great concern for me. I will still add dry gas and stable to what is left in the tank in the fall. A fresh fill up in the spring is all I'll need ;)

Everything im reading says to still fill the tank. each paragraph is from a different site.

Be sure to fill your boat's fuel tank to capacity (allowing just a little bit of room for expansion) and add stabilizer, prior to stowing it away for the winter. Failing to do so will allow air into the tank, which can condense on the sides as the temperature changes causing corrosion and clogging over time. Turn off all fuel valves, and use duct tape to seal off any through-hull exhaust ports. This will also help prevent potentially harmful internal condensation. In addition to these steps, remember to replace your boat's fuel filter and water separator.

Add an appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank and top off to minimize the formation of moisture through condensation in the fuel tank. Attach a flushing attachment as a cooling water/flushing source. Start and run the engine at fast idle approximately 10-15 minutes. This will ensure the entire fuel supply system contains the appropriate storage mixtures.

Hopefully, you topped off your tank and added fuel stabilizer before you put your boat away for the winter. If you did, you shouldn't have any problems this spring.

If you didn't, it's probably best to simply start from scratch, removing any leftover fuel and disposing of it properly. This is because fuel can break down after prolonged periods of storage. Condensation is also a problem, especially when there has been wide fluctuations of temperatures, and this can leave water in your tank, which is disastrous for your engine. Check your owner's manual for the best way to drain the gas tank on your particular model.

The way I read this, Stabil won't work anymore since it is mainly alcohol. Too much alcohol and water condensation will cause a separation from the gasoline and a slug of pure water will shut down your engine and other stuff. The new gasoline sold today has a shelf life of 90 days and then you're on your own. I'm emptying my gas tanks and burning the gas in my truck. Next spring I'll top off with new fuel. A water separator will probably be the way to go with the new fuel we have to deal with.

i also drain the fuel out of the tank, as of now its empty. it depends on who u talk to about what to do, but with all i read and the mecs i talked to i think its better to empty the tank, have been doing it for years with no water probs.

john ;)

West Marine has at its store in Buffalo a whole shelf of fuel additives. New for ethanol gasoline is Stabil Blue. Not the pink stuff we used to use. Startron and its West Marine fuel additive work also. They should hold your fuel good for a year.

www.Westmarine.com

check under engine systems, fuel additives.

• 3 months later...

I've always been told to make sure the tank is full before storing to prevent open areas where moisture can form and corride parts. But, after reading the above posts regarding the poor gas we have to deal with, I'm wondering if making sure the tank's empty now isn't such a bad idea. I filled my 52 gallon tank before storing the boat and added enough of the standard pink colored StaBil for the amount of fuel. Guess I'll find out in a few months if I made a bad decision or not.

This subject comes up every now and then and you can't get a straight or the same answer from all the "experts" :roll: . So far I'm just loading up my fuel with Sta-Bil and keep my fingers crossed.

I found this online about a month ago on the Goldeagle site (makers of Sta-Bil) and haven't been able to find it in any auto parts store locally. Tried WalMart/K-Mart also. No one seems to stock it or even have heard of it :? .

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/stabil_marine.htm

I'm going to the Harrisburg Sportman's Show next weekend and will be looking for it in the Marine/boat/fishing building. Maybe the larger boats shows will feature it.......

.....so if anyone knows where to get it I (we) would appreciate it if you would let us know. I sure want to get may hands on some . Last resort is order it online but not sure if shipping may be an issue.

Thanks

You can get the marine StaBil at West Marine. I saw it on the shelves a few weeks ago when I was in there looking around. It was about 2x the cost of the normal pink StaBil we're used to seeing, but if it does what the label says it does, the extra $$$ may be worth it.

• 7 months later...

The Gander Mountain store in the Binghamton area is now stocking the new Sta-Bil Marine treatment @ $19.99 for a 32 oz bottle. I picked up a bottle a couple days ago and noticed that that 1oz treats 5 gallons were as the regular stuff (red color) takes 2 ozs to treat 5 gallons. So even though a bottle costs a few bucks more it will treat twice as much gasoline and has some added benefits over the red stuff.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/stabil_marine.htm

Just thought I'd pass along this info seen as many of you will be thinking about winterizing your boats now.

I also found the blue Stabil and put in the whole 8 oz in to treat my 40 gal tank I filled my tank last year and added the red stuff and had no problems starting or running the tank out this spring the fuller it is with gas the less chance of moisture in the tank.I also check the gas from my fuel separator in the spring to make sure the gas didn't separate i drain at least 3 to 5 gals then let it sit the fuel line draws from the bottom of the tank so if there is water you will know. Then I run that stuff I drained in my mowers.

• 2 months later...

Checking out sites on the internet, it seems that they recommend with the new E 10 formulated gasoline we use now, we have to close the vents on our boat fuel tanks for long term storage. Is any one doing this and how are you doing it?

• 2 weeks later...