Targeting walleye and pike near Cape Vincent

carpedium

I am headed up to the islands this weekend with the in-laws, and will be staying near fox and grenadier islands. The boat is in the water up there and currently not trailerable, so I was hoping to get some advice on good spots within a reasonable run from that area. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

What baits? Depths? Areas?

Thanks

I stayed at Cedar Point a couple of weekends ago. Fished a bit down near Clayton. Push pin on the image is where I caught a 21" Walleye. There is about a 20 foot diameter rock sticking out of the water there with a really nice weedy shoal upstream up it. Drops off quick all around it. Caught the walleye on a black/silver F13 Rapala down 25 feet on the rigger trolling along the shoal. Caught a couple northerns just upstream from there along Grindstone Island.

walleye.jpg

not really sure where you'll be. cape vincent is a long run from grenadier island. anyway,here are some good spots;there is good pike fishing in the weed beds northeast side of carleton island. look for the duckblinds and hit the shoreline there. eel bay is a can't fail pike spot,look for taller weed patches in the many acres of short moss. the deeper center part of goose bay is good,just as you pull in. the rest of it is choked with weeds and hammer-handles. the area behind the castle is loaded with pike. you can count on one in the mouth of the creek behind the boldt boathouse. if your wife is with you try pike fishing in and around millionaire row. she can gawk at all the rich people's lifestyles and bug you about not making enough while you catch a few pike. the only bait you need for pike is a 3"nickle red-eye. throw out the front hook that comes on it,just grabs more weeds. if you are staying near grenadier and have a canadian license i'd say stay there and fish the southern side of it. i don't know anything about walleyes. good luck

I'd give the southwest drop off of grenadier a shot, also the buoy off the lighthouse at tibbetts point. Both can hold can fish this time of year, but with southwest 10-20 forecasted this weekend it might not be a pleasant place to fish.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We were up a few weeks back and picked up a couple of nice eyes trolling the mouth of Mud Bay. We were pulling stickbaits down about 30' over 70' of water. We also ran out to the shipping lane and tried the 100+ depths for lakers.. got some big browns instead! Make sure you're rigged to fight off the fleas.. they're really bad this year! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)