Cutbait Setup

Lots of ways to run the meat. I run mine in a Rhys Davis head 20 to 26 inches behind a protroll e chip flasher. Usually a green or white with pearl on one side. Tweak the head enough to get a 1.5 to 2 roll per second, more of a wider spin than just a twirling on its axis. I set the hook to lay free next to the meat tail. End of the tail just at the bend in the treble. Use the toothpick in the head to jam it there.

Some like to use twinkies and some like to dress the meat with a fly skirt. Just depends on the mood of the fish sometime. I like to run the meat on copper, then dipsy, and off the riggers last but sometimes if not useing a copper in the spread just deep on the center rigger.

Be patient...it is not one of the quickest producers, but will often get the biggest salmon of the day. It will troll nicely at the speed you run the test of your sets, I have used familiar bite and Erie Dearie with equal success.

The roll, or spin of the meat is most critical though. Be sure to get it looking right beside the boat out of the wash and count the roll of the meat twice for each ..."one thousand one, one thousand two" etc etc count.

That's what I do but is no means the only way, and it works for me.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I'll post this as a heads-up and hopefully an answer for myself and others.

I've been using the Rhys Davis heads as well as another brand I can't think of the name. They come in a white package either with a plastic box around the rig or just in a plastic ziploc bag. Got them over at the slippery sinker...Mason might be the name? Anyway, I have been having trouble getting the line to stay when I adjust it to the length of the hook. Out of maybe 10-20 tries, I was only able to get it to stay a couple of times. I did this by jamming a toothpick in the holes on the top and back of the head but those holes for the line are so small it is really hard to get the toothpick to stay in there. I've considered making a loop around the red "toothpick" that holds the meat in but I'm too afraid I'm going to compromise the stregth of the line when a fish hits it. I've seen guys actually put the hook in the meat strip but when I do it the result is always way too much roll.

Brian