Seneca 8/9/2012 late start

Seneca 8/9/2012

Late start today my better half is on vacation and has been putting in 60 to 70 work weeks so we hit the water after 9:30 am ran south,,,,,, :hi: at Reel Hooked Up as we went by them......... set up about where we started the other day but trolled north........ not much going on weedy in that area cleaned rods a few times and the water was a tad warmer at 61' today.......switched some spoons around and hooked up with a laker down 71' DW wonderbread glow.........picked up a small laker at that depth and changed some more spoons............then picked up a nice brown at 61' DW SS alwife type , .....now the wind has stopped and it's HOT .......picked up a brown on the 71' rig and called it a day about 11;30ish.......the TIE still LIVES........ :lol: .........put every thing back today .......the bogo-grip ($$$$) was worth it both browns were in GOOD shape as the swam away.......thanks Wes and everyone else that bragged these up..... :yes::beer: other wise I would have never dared take a picture......Oh it work great yesterday on that SMB also.............

Nice report Ed :yes::clap: ...........grumble grumble grumble, did Sean & "crew" :hi: back ? did Kinger get "bumped" ?

We were :hi: Marty! I was working solo today with two clients, nice report Ed I figured you were on your way to your hot spot :lol: . We smoked them good out deep lots of Lakers one that was 10 another that was 12 and four good Bows. You didn't miss a thing early the fish were off the bite, once the sun came out and the lake layed down they were on fire.

Nice job again Ed. I wish I could get as much time on the water as you do! The boga style grip or Berkly lip gripper have worked well for us. I think keeping the fish off the floor of the boat is the biggest part of the good release. We released a bunch of 8+ pounders last year in surface temps as warm as 89 deg and they went down like a rocket. We are careful not to bring them up to fast as well. Nice and steady. If we have a big fish on light leader we still net but you could still use the boga grip to take them out of the net while leaving the net in the water. I've taken guys on the boat that think it is a race to get them to the top and that was the only time we had blown up swim bladders. Keep posting those pics so I can remember what they look like :clap: Wes

Nice report Ed :yes::clap: ...........grumble grumble grumble, did Sean & "crew" :hi: back ? did Kinger get "bumped" ?

We were :hi: Marty! I was working solo today with two clients, nice report Ed I figured you were on your way to your hot spot :lol: . We smoked them good out deep lots of Lakers one that was 10 another that was 12 and four good Bows. You didn't miss a thing early the fish were off the bite, once the sun came out and the lake layed down they were on fire.

Kinger get BUMPED ha !!! he picks his seat we take what left.............

Sean the

hot spot
was full of weeds ;( but they never stay HOT for long anyway.... :D just have to find them some where......... thought your spread looked a little weak only 20 or so rods out :lol::P .....

Wes if it wasn't so hot and I didn't have so much stuff going on at home I'd have about 10 to 14 more days on the water this year..... :(:( ......JK :lol: .....it's been a fun season again browns are going great again this year and I'm not into the landlocks like last year , some time I'll pull it all togather.......... :yes:

I've had real good success realeasing fish for over 40 years and all I do is use needle nose pliers and grab the stainless single steel hooks by the shank turning it upside down (hook pointed downward) while in the fishes mouth and shake them off carefully. Never have to touch them or handle them in any way and that is critical for rainbows and steelies especially. Deep lakers have to be handles a bit differently coming up from the depths though.... I often puncture the air bladder slightly with the point of my filet knife and slowly return them to the water. Fish biologists have indicated that the bladders repair themselves quickly (tiny hole) with mucus and then reheal.

We have released many hundrads of lake trout over the years and never had to poke a hole in them. I could count on one hand how many that would not go down. I am not an expert on fish anatomy and would end up hitting some sort of vital and killing the fish long after he swims to the depths. Using pliers along side the boat would be best and we do that often as well. If we need to take a pic we boga grip them. We have the camera ready before the fish is at the boat, land, take pic and release in way less than a minute. The fish that we keep for the grill are fish that are hooked in the gills. Studies show that these fish do not make it. Keeping the fish from banging around, not removing protective slim, minimal time out of the water, and a steady retrieve from the depths all help in a good release. There is nothig wrong with keeping fish to eat. I have just been sharing what has worked very well for us the fish that we let go. Wes

You want to start a thread about releasing fish go ahead , that's where I got the info for the bogo-grip to take a picture. We brought 4 fish to the boat that day one laker was released at the side of the boat with pliers shaking him off ( treble hook ) ( treble vs. single was also covered in that thread or a thread like it) a small laker was brought into the boat and picture taken and released , the two browns were held by the bogo-grip picture taken and put back never checked the weight or how long they were............. I take a LOT of fish to eat they make it to the deep frier , gasgrill or smoker........ I would never poke a hole in a fish and put it back , unless someone showed me how and I felt GOOD that I knew it would be OK ( the fish )........anyway this thread was about CPR ......catch- picture - release ...... thanks for your input on the total release part :yes: but as they say been there read that !!!!!